Can't move distributor!!!!!

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
duggers
fill in the right answer: 10

Can't move distributor!!!!!

Post by duggers »

I am getting my GTX back up and running and as part of the job I want to set the ignition timing back to factory (6 degrees advance) and run super unleaded.
It is currently running fine at 0 degrees on regular unleaded and has been at that since i bought it in December 2003. I have tried to move the distributor but it just won't budge.
I'v tried soaking the base in lubricant, gently gripping with mole grips and even a manual adjuster and drift to see if it would shock off all to no avail.

Any ideas :scratch:

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
mark1gls

Re: Can't move distributor!!!!!

Post by mark1gls »

Have you been using WD40?
If so try Plus Gas, much better than WD40.
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... &0&cc5_857
Have you removed the clamp completely, you really don't need to but it may give you a bit more room to grip things and wiggle.

The dissy has got rusted in place, more socking and gentile tapping and griping with mole grips and more wobbling.
You are doing the right things.
Also mark where the dissy is at the moment so you can set it to how it is if it all goes wrong.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
duggers

Post by duggers »

I have removed the clamp completely as well as the rad shroud and fan to give me best access with implements. I used 3in1 as in the past this left to soak has freed off the stubbornest of nuts/joints.
i'll go with another soaking as i don't want to have to go in from inside to get the bugger moving.
Not worried about sorting the timing as that's the easy bit just want the thing to move and not self destruct the next time i give it a 'nudge' .

Membership # 432
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

A little heat may help as a last resort but be carful of the plastic bits.
Have you scraped as much dirt etc from around the edge of the dissy with a thin screw driver so the penatrating oil sits in the gap?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Nate

Post by Nate »

Wire brush round the bottom of it to help break any rust "seal" that may have formed, regular doses of plus gas for a couple of days, a few gentle taps at the base with a knockometer, throw the mole grips in the bin and get a good stilsons on it

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
duggers

Post by duggers »

Ahh, so large tools and lots of leverage.....I can do that.

My only worry is that there is a risk of damaging the distributor shaft/stalk/outer tube? whatever you term it if i go too aggressive with stilsons or the like.

I've cleaned and scraped as much detritus away as possible so I'll keep the lube going and give it a good gripping..... I best stop there :stop:

Membership # 432
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by unknownmale »

I'd try a mix of ATF and acetone around the base, leave it for 30 mins, then pull up while turning counter clockwise

- David
james butler

Post by james butler »

duggers wrote:Ahh, so large tools and lots of leverage.....I can do that.

My only worry is that there is a risk of damaging the distributor shaft/stalk/outer tube? whatever you term it if i go too aggressive with stilsons or the like.

I've cleaned and scraped as much detritus away as possible so I'll keep the lube going and give it a good gripping..... I best stop there :stop:
i have a few spare parts like the dizzy body and what not so if you damage yours you can have some of mine.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
duggers

Post by duggers »

unknownmale wrote:I'd try a mix of ATF and acetone around the base, leave it for 30 mins, then pull up while turning counter clockwise
james butler wrote:

i have a few spare parts like the dizzy body and what not so if you damage yours you can have some of mine.
Cheers chaps.
You've got to love this forum and how people just help each other without any grief or agenda.
i'm working tomorrow and subject to any weird weather i'll give it a go Sunday.

Membership # 432
Nate

Post by Nate »

Doesn't need to be huge, needs to be just big enough. 8" should be fine (stop sniggering at the back)

A stilsons used correctly will tighten it's grip the more pressure you apply, making it less likely to slip. Mole grips, particularly cheap ones, tend to shred stuff very easily.

I wouldn't be too worried about breaking the dizzy, I've seen plenty of them that appear to have been attached with a hammer and chisel to free them off

big_wig_074
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by big_wig_074 »

lightly tap the body side to side with a hammer, then leverage. worked for me.

duggers

Post by duggers »

Thought i'd update.
Managed to move the distributor by using a 10" stilson for initial movement. It was very close to the rad and had to have the fan shroud and fan removed to give enough room. Once i got it to move slightly is used a good set of mole grips to get it looser. The mole grips are shorter so had a bit more room to move. I guess shorter stilson would have been OK but i had some 10" ones in the shed.

Gave it some more lube before re-setting the timing and locking off.

Membership # 432
Nate

Post by Nate »

10 inch is a short stilsons ;-) to a 36" in the shed from when I worked on trucks for a living. There's not much that they won't shift

duggers

Post by duggers »

Yes, It's all relative!

A friend works on trains and has a torque wrench that two people operate in his job toolkit!

I have a good selection of hammers in various sizes.............

Membership # 432
Nate

Post by Nate »

I hate the commercial torque wrenches. 7 foot long. I used to get to do the wheel torques on the wreckers. 5 axles, 20 wheel nuts per axle, 700Nm. Drive it for a few miles then do them all again.