Sump Gasket

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Sump Gasket

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Next job is the sump gasket. Seems straight forward but I keep hearing horror stories about he 2 bolts by the gear box which a right monkey to deal with. Are they as bad as people say?
Any advice or recommendation of correct tools would be appreciated.
Thanks

ThomasD

Re: Sump Gasket

Post by ThomasD »

On the Storm, it was not difficult (DX engine, 5 speed gearbox). I don't recall having any trouble accessing the two bolts next to the gearbox - I did use a "wobble" extension which allows your angle to the bolt heads to be adjusted slightly. Take a look under there, I think you should be able to see the bolts clearly between the gearbox and the sump.

Other tips - this is a bit of messy job as you might image so plan accordingly, check the oil pickup screen for any kind of debris, do not use sealers on the sump gasket, and do not over torque the sump pan bolts.

Good luck!
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

Drain oil before touching any bolts!

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You can get a rubber gasket which is better than the cork one, just becareful with the the 2 bolts at the gearbox end and don't go in on an angle and cross thread them.
I did have a little trouble with mine but I found checking the angle of the bolts fit with out the sump fitted the hold up the sump and fit the 2 bolts first finger tight then fit the other bolts worked for me.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thanks for the answers. If I use the rubber gasket are the original bolts ok? If slightly longer are required what size please?

Thanks

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I fitted the original bolts back in and they seem OK after 5 months.

When you remove the sump be carful of the plastic baffle on the oil pick up as on my other engine I damaged it when I had to knock the sump off as it was stuck on, the baffle gets brittle with age and the heat.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323