Removing the breather hose

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Removing the breather hose

Post by unknownmale »

Has anyone deleted this?

Not sure how I feel about running oil through my carb, plus mine is old and cracked. Thinking of putting a cork in the airbox and some sort of filter on the end of the hose.

Would rather find a solution that works and doesn't look like it came free on the cover of max power.

- David
unknownmale

Re: Removing the breather hose

Post by unknownmale »

Ended up going for a Ramair filter and a little rocker cover breather from eBay.

- David
bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bengould »

If you remove the breather and fit a filter directly to your engine breather you will cover your engine bay in an oily mist.

If you replace the standard air box & filter with a bolt on filter you will loose the hot air feed which helps stop the carb icing in cold/damp weather (i.e. Now).

The best option is to fit an oil catch can onto the breather, and then fit the filter on to that, it will separate the oil from the vapour and keep the engine bay clean. And get a cotton panel filter to fit in the standard air box.

Ben.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Too late now. I don't see how the breather would benefit really, I think the heat in the engine bay and the heater element are enough to prevent icing.

- David
bengould
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by bengould »

The ambient heat is not enough, that is why the hot air feed is there in the first place.

When you open the throttle plate in your carb you reduce the pressure within the carb, this reduction in pressure causes a large reduction in temperature. In cold and damp climates this can and will cause the temperature within the carb to drop below 0°c, freezing the moisture in the air on the inside of the carb. This blocks the fuel jets and stalls the car.

It is most noticeable in the UK over winter on cold damp mornings or driving at night.

At the end of the day, its your car, do what you want. Carb icing is not the worst thing to suffer from, it won't always happen. If it does, wait a few mins and it goes away. It is a bit of a pin in the ass when your late for work and the car keeps cutting out though.

Also, the breather vents the crank case. Which prevents excess pressure building up in the head. Without it you will get oil leaks from the rocker cover.

The air that comes out has a high oil mist content that under normal circumstances goes back into the engine and gets burnt off harmlessly.

If you vent this to atmosphere (in the engine bay) the oil ends up everywhere.

Stick a catch can in between and it collects all this oil and keeps the bay clean. I was surprised at the amount of oil that mine caught.

Again, if you decide not to, that's your choice. It won't harm anything by venting it to the atmosphere but it can get messy.

Ben.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I think the heater element will be enough to prevent any issues.

Thanks for your feedback, I was always going to do it just wanted to know some products people have used.

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

This is how it ended up.

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I have no idea why the image has been flipped on the forum - http://dev.lecollective.co.uk/davidholland/IMG_7010.JPG

- David