Sticky throttle

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

Sticky throttle

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi,

I've got an intermittent issue with a throttle. It happened earlier in lockdown when I started the car, by turning the key and pressing down slightly on the pedal the revs shot up to 4000, I turned the engine off and turned it back on and it was fine. The other day I was driving and I went into the 3rd gear and the revs started increasing, I kicked down on the peddle twice and the revs shot up to 6000 before quickly returning to normal and the car drove perfectly all the way back.

I previously sprayed some WD40 on the cable, but do you think it could be the flaps on the carb that are getting stuck? It's intermittent and happened a couple of months in between, so it's hard to gauge. I've been on some longer drives since the first time and the car was fine throughout.

Thanks

Eagle1
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Sticky throttle

Post by Eagle1 »

Go through all of your accelerator cable and check it's run is smooth. If you can get an assistant to depress the cable whilst your under the bonnet. I've had it before where it looks okay until its depressed and it turns out the outer sheath has broken and the cable will kink. It can also catch on items next to it on its run.