Noisey Tappets

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
frlrubett
fill in the right answer: 15

Noisey Tappets

Post by frlrubett »

Took car to garage to have an oil leak sorted and whilst there the guy pointed out there was a tapping noise which he said was due to tappet noise. Intermittent and mild currently, at the top of the engine causing a slight misfire - he said it could have been due to the oil used by the previous service.

He said I should buy some "Forte Top End Treatment" see how that works and if not then he would apply an additive then replace the oil completely.

Is this the recommended remedy for this issue? What oil would you recommend if he was to replace the oil completely?

Thanks!

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Noisey Tappets

Post by blakey »

Forte additive has a good reputation, it may resolve the issue, depending on the history of the engine, or it may be just a short term fix.
Mine has intermittent tappet noise at certain temperatures, despite using Quantum oil, regular changes and a generally clean engine internally. For the cost of a set of tappets, I will just be taking the plunge and replacing all 8.

A set of tappets starts at around £40.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

These are quite engines and do tap a little, when cold or if the oil is old then my tappets can get noisy.

You could try the additive and see how it goes.

How old are the tappets?

You can remove the tappets and dismantle them to clean out all the oil old and any varnish or replace them for new if the additive does not help...

What oil and filter are you using and how many miles has the engine done?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

i put new tappets in mine and it wasnt long before it started tapping again
might be worth trying some thicker oil for a bit and see if the tapping goes away
i use 15/40 in mine and it did make it quieter

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

mark1gls wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:26 pm These are quite engines and do tap a little, when cold or if the oil is old then my tappets can get noisy.

You could try the additive and see how it goes.

How old are the tappets?

You can remove the tappets and dismantle them to clean out all the oil old and any varnish or replace them for new if the additive does not help...

What oil and filter are you using and how many miles has the engine done?
So, it taps from cold quite a lot. Then it warms up and becomes intermittent but after a good run the tapping can sometimes stop.

I have owned the car for one year so I am not sure about the age of the tappets, the car also came recently serviced so am not sure of the oil/filters. I did top the oil up with 10/40 recently. Current milage is 140k. Just sailed through the MOT so I have money to spend, so up for suggestions. Have purchased some "top end treatment" which I will try first.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

How often do you drive it? Even modern engine tappets can be noisy if the car has been unused for several weeks.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

GT_II wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 pm How often do you drive it? Even modern engine tappets can be noisy if the car has been unused for several weeks.
Gets a run once to twice a week. I am due to drive it quite a bit around the Cosworth meet so can evaluate!

frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

Dropped it into local garage for them to look at, they have said the timing is out. Which is causing now quite a noticable clatter, bit of black smoke (which I had not noticed) and a rough idle. They have told me to bring it back friday, my house is about 1 mile from the garage. If the timing belt is out, then isn't driving at all a risk to the engine?

The cam belt was changed about 500 miles ago.

essextom

Post by essextom »

no the belt should be fine, just take it easy

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

What fuel are you using?

The timing needs to be set up for the right grade of fuel.

Super unleaded is set by the book and you need to retard the timing the use normal unleaded.

I found my Gti runs better on super.

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Also see my other reply....... :good:

Membership No. 323