1800 8v tuning

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

1800 8v tuning

Post by scirocco_ne »

As the title states i was curious as to how tunable the 1800 8v engines are in the content of...

For example 205 gti engine- Tuned out the factory heavily and well machined/ matched cam etc

End result a engine i cant do much more with unless i cam it to death and make it rev like a vtech

Ford ZVH lumps- Poor out the factory and apparently very responsive to head work, cams and tuning

So on this line of questioning how do the old 8v lumps fair?I want a little more get up and go from it so was curious if some light mods would help it perform just a little better. As it stands i could not pull the skin off a rice pudding as im sure all 8v owners know haha.

Thanks
Mick

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1800 8v tuning

Post by mark1gls »

Carb or fuel injection?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

A bit of a bible tbh - the club gti engine thread section.

https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.ph ... valve.135/

In a nutshell... if it's an 8V Injection - 'DX' code engine.

Cam and breathing - 5-10bhp

Cam, head - 20bhp... but you might aswell just get a 16v 'KR' or track down a 2-litre ABF or 9A engine.

Cam, bore out to 1900 = 140bhp PEAKY/REVVY, 2000 = 150bhp TORQUEY

Do the brakes first and factor in some suspension work first too.

I've got a BRMotorsport 2-litre from back in the day in a GTX - it's a beautiful engine to use.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

2l block and 8v head will get you to 150bhp wih cam and so on

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Sorry i didnt clarify.

It's a 1800 8v on carb.

Are the 2ltr bottom ends fully compatible with a straight swap? Gearbox ok etc etc? And what do they come from?

If i do anything i would want the car to look original under the bonnet :)

I am wanting to rebuild this long term so may aswell look into options as i may be able to source a 2ltr easier than a good nick STD engine if it drops straight in beyond fueling tweaks.

Thanks
Mick

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Spotted this, 8v turbo exhaust man. Dead cheap

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2779032460

james butler

Post by james butler »

there are many engines that will drop in with aftermarket and standard mounts.
the difficulties usually are the mods and wiring these engines in if changing to injection and/or turbo.
the 1800 8v if tweaked the best it can be standard is enough to go pretty quick until you try and compare it to a modern car.
like sean says the brakes and suspension as standard will HAVE to be improved significantly if you want more power as these cars stock are suited to 112bhp at best.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

My 2.0l engine block is out of a Mk3 Golf, the engine mounts are the same as standard, the engine does need the front breather blocked and a adapter ring for the standard dissy to fit, mine is a the taller engine block so I do have a spacer to fit after the older style 6 bolt type exhaust manifold so the exhaust won’t hit the bottom of the car.

I’ve not fitted the engine yet but it was fitted to a Mk1 golf before I bought it 2nd hand so lucky I have the mods already done to the engine and I intend fitted it to my Mk1 Golf Gti as the Scirocco has just reached 40 years old so it’s going to be registered as a historic vehicle and it need the original type of engine fitted or I have to MOT it every years.

I think fitting a GTi cam shaft to your carb car will help a little but not 100% sure on this, if you do go looking for one you need to check if it’s for the solid or hydraulic tappets, VW changed to hydraulic tappets 84ish... If you are missing No4 cam shaft cap then you have hydraulic tappets.

Bit of reading here on the 2.0l engine block and standard head.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page ... misc&id=26

A couple of Audi 80 2.0 engine on ebay but check that sort engine fits as I’m no expert on this.... If you look they are very similar to the Scirocco engine block.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-2-0L ... SwXi9b3wFV

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-90-B ... SwcC5Z1Uw8

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-80-90-B ... SwELBb3wJy

Or buy a complete car, gaffer tape on wheel arch for free. :-D
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-AUDI-80 ... SwE~Zb7neZ

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

BlackGTX wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:51 pm Spotted this, 8v turbo exhaust man. Dead cheap

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2779032460

Ive done a turbo conversion on a g60 before. Its a awful set up as there not a crossflow head. Heat soak issues galore haha

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

james butler wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:54 pm there are many engines that will drop in with aftermarket and standard mounts.
the difficulties usually are the mods and wiring these engines in if changing to injection and/or turbo.
the 1800 8v if tweaked the best it can be standard is enough to go pretty quick until you try and compare it to a modern car.
like sean says the brakes and suspension as standard will HAVE to be improved significantly if you want more power as these cars stock are suited to 112bhp at best.

If im honest i am only interested in something that maintains originality. This conversion seems a straight swap so far beyond the dizzy, carb jet perhaps and breather.Ive done 1.8ts etc and i want. something far simpler and original just to give it a little more go.

If you can keep the car looking original then it could be the one for me. Its like getting it bored out i guess.

Thanks
Mick

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

double post
Last edited by scirocco_ne on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Double post

chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

I've done what you're doing before to both 1.6 and 1.8 carb engines (GU code I think it was, Pierburg auto choke carb etc), this was back when it was easy to find a 1.8 GTI K-jet 8v donor in the scrap yard!

I took the dual exhaust manifold which mated to a full GTI exhaust with dual downpipe. That was when you could buy genuine exhaust systems from VW at excellent value. I also took the cylinder head (bigger valves), distributor (better curve) and installed a Weber 34 DMTR and TSR cam with vernier pulley (both from ebay when there were bargains to be had, anyone remember those days?) and it was awesome for the price. Oh yes I also spent an hour or two at an old school rolling road setting up carb jets, ign and cam timing and it was money well spent.

I don't think you could recreate that now for the same money. But that's the basis for tuning to keep it looking original.

They are definitely responsive to basic head work too, and most of these light mods mentioned will make a nice difference. IMO the 1.8 is adequate if you do the rest, but it depends what you like, and your budget...

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

chopperoli wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:09 pm I've done what you're doing before to both 1.6 and 1.8 carb engines (GU code I think it was, Pierburg auto choke carb etc), this was back when it was easy to find a 1.8 GTI K-jet 8v donor in the scrap yard!

I took the dual exhaust manifold which mated to a full GTI exhaust with dual downpipe. That was when you could buy genuine exhaust systems from VW at excellent value. I also took the cylinder head (bigger valves), distributor (better curve) and installed a Weber 34 DMTR and TSR cam with vernier pulley (both from ebay when there were bargains to be had, anyone remember those days?) and it was awesome for the price. Oh yes I also spent an hour or two at an old school rolling road setting up carb jets, ign and cam timing and it was money well spent.

I don't think you could recreate that now for the same money. But that's the basis for tuning to keep it looking original.

They are definitely responsive to basic head work too, and most of these light mods mentioned will make a nice difference. IMO the 1.8 is adequate if you do the rest, but it depends what you like, and your budget...

Our car has just had brand new weber which is one of the reasons i must keep it in standard form to a point as well. It's done 143k now and is a little out of puff i feel although it drives fine and does not use oil excessively.

Would i be able to use any of the old 8v engines to build a better powerplant than the current standard?

I want a little better power with a totally standard look.

Thanks
Mick

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

There is also a AGG engine near us for under £100