Top mounts advise

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hanna.melbo
fill in the right answer: 15

Top mounts advise

Post by hanna.melbo »

As winter is fast approaching i thought id do some maintenance as i know the top mounts need doing so...
I received one new top mount (still awaiting the other) from VW heritage... the thing is you can hold the shell in one hand and with your finger through the bearings you can move the bearings up/ down, left/ right, almost seems like the bearing housing is not fitted correctly to the shell of the top mount...seeing as i have never done this job before, am i right in saying the bearings should not move atall, and be solid. Its a Brand new febi bilstein kit, and i was told these are usually good!

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Top mounts advise

Post by james butler »

is it the bearing your talking about or the spacer in the center of the top mount that clamps up when attached to the suspension?
if i remember correctly, i think there is a fair amount of play when no weight is on the mount especially when its not attached to the suspension.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
hanna.melbo
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by hanna.melbo »

you could be right to be honest, i will have to compare with the other top mount that im waiting for, but it looks as though the spacer is moving as well as the bearings inside

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

they do tighten up considerably when under load so might have to see what they are like when on the car.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!