Head gasket/EGR cooler/turbo or injectors HELP :,(

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jacko17
fill in the right answer: 15

Head gasket/EGR cooler/turbo or injectors HELP :,(

Post by jacko17 »

Hi all,

I’ll try and explain the best I can I’m having a bit of a nightmare with my Rocco.

So I bought it about 5 months back and after a few days I noticed it was smoking quite abit from the exhaust. Looked online and people ask that it was probably the dpf regen so left it as that.

I’ve left it for a few months and had to top up the coolant not much but once or twice over three months. Sometimes when I pop to the shop go in and start the car afterwards it doesn’t fire up first time second or third time it will and it also runs quite lumpy when Indling.

So I took it to the garage a few weeks back for a service and to see if he could see what the smoking was. He didn’t do the service as he thought that it was the head gasket that could be going. Left it with his and he came to the conclusion that it was either the head or EGR cooler but wasn’t certain on either and wanted me to drive it for a bit and keep an eye on the coolant level and see if I noticed any changes.

Looked online and everything was pointing at the EGR cooler. Exhaust fumes smelt sweetish like the coolant, had no mayonnaise in the oil cap so I got him to change the EGR valve bought a brand new one online and he fitted got the car back and this is where it started to go a bit wrong :,(

So took it from the garage smoke free finally got about a mile away from the garage and hit some stand still traffic for a minute or so set off and the smoke appeared again!!!!! Got home sat down for ten minutes and decided to go over the bypass to See if it was just coolant in the exhaust that need to be burned off.

Anyway was smoking a bit on the bypass not too much and the way home coming up a slight hill the car started smoking quite badly I’d say when the turbo was kicking in couldn’t see behind me it was quite abit. Got home parked up and the car there till the morning.

Started it in the morning to go to work at 5-45 smoked quite a bit set off anyway and noticed it trying to rev on it own carried on and literally 2 seconds later the car started revving on it own pooed my self a little shoved my clutch in out it in neutral and turned the ignition off it ran on for about 2 seconds and stopped the street was covered in smoke!!

I pushed the car back and left it there for the garage to recover it and have a look. So I instantly thought it was the turbo that had gone but the garage have looked a little further into it and they seem to think it’s the injectors that are faulty and the oil is above max and I’ve got diesel in my sump also said a few other things but I’ve forgot lol.

So he’s going to take the injectors off tomorrow and test them. Could of replacing the EGR cooler of caused the injectors to go as they were over working With a faulty EGR and now all of a sudden wonder what’s happening.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and shed some light

Thanks for any help

Chris

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Head gasket/EGR cooler/turbo or injectors HELP :,(

Post by blakey »

I'm more familiar with older TDI's, but if it runs a tandem pump (fuel and vacuum), it would be worth checking the fuel pump isn't leaking into the engine.
Was the smoke black or blue? If black, it could be the result of injector or pump issues.
Depending on how much fuel is in the sump, a good oil and filter change is needed, but would be tempted to do a dry and wet compression test to confirm the condition of the bores and any possibility of a cracked cylinder head.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Head gasket/EGR cooler/turbo or injectors HELP :,(

Post by Nate »

Oil level rising would suggest that it is getting diesel mixed in with it. I know GM diesels ate prone to this of switched off during a regen.

If you attempt to repair this by chucking new parts at it based on internet suggestions, you're gonna end up skint and not fixing it.

I'm not overly familiar with the modern vw denzils, but having had similar experiences with my saab, the fault turned out to be a clogged dpf pressure sensor and a duff for temp sensor. Taking it to someone who wasn't well up on modern diesels the symptoms look like turbo failure or faulty injectors.

Obviously continuing driving it with oil in the sump will lead to premature engine wear.

Has it had a proper diagnostic scan with a decent machine? This is way past what you'll diagnose with a basic fault code reader

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3