I give up! I'm getting a Weber

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
nolegjoe
fill in the right answer: 15

I give up! I'm getting a Weber

Post by nolegjoe »

£700 for a new fuel tank and filler neck, and the car still stalls out on me at when I depress the clutch. It's fine when I'm accelerating, but sometimes the damn thing just will. Not. Idle.

So, I'm buying a Weber. I got mine from http://www.fastroadcars.co.uk/store/ind ... h=scirocco for £287.

Does anyone have a guide to replace the Pierburg for the Weber? I can't seem to find one anywhere online. I'd like to see what I'm getting myself into and if I should just get my garage to do the work instead?

Thanks

mr.brown

Re: I give up! I'm getting a Weber

Post by mr.brown »

Uploaded by a fellow VW enthusiast over on Club GTI - scroll to the bottom of this page and there are two related PDFs.

They're for a mk2 Golf 1.6 but it's pretty similar for the Scirocco.

You may need to be logged into Gmail to download them. If no luck, PM me your email and I'll send them across.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... 2?hl=en_GB

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

It’s a nice and simple swap so long as the kit is complete. Worth getting a new rubber flange too while you’re at it. Give me a shout if you get stuck

- David
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

dont forget once you have the peirburg removed to burn it with fire to make sure it doesnt come back to haunt you!
check your rubber flange make sure its not split.
the weber is very straight forward and shouldnt really give you any issues.
just make sure you follow the instructions.
if you get stuck just ask

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Post by james butler »

to be fair to the pierburg i found out mine had a split vac pipe right at the back only visable once removed which was why it ran like a pig.
before it must have split it ran beautifully and was fairly quick.
the only thing i miss from it compared to the weber was the auto idle adjustment which kept the idle around 900rpm
the weber kind of needs to be set around 1000rpm so when all the electrical loads are turned on its around 900rpm as it has no self idle regulation, just a screw against the throttle.
also having a choke on the weber is a novelty :dance: dont forget to turn it off when warmed up as its amazing how quick it will use fuel if you dont :shock:

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You need to make sure you use the bracket on the front of the engine which holds the air box steady, you may have to get some bigger washers to hold the air box, if it’s left off the rubber flange which the carb sits on will split as that’s the only thing stopping the carb from flapping about.

You can get it near whe adjusting the CO / fuel mixture but it’s best to get it to a garage to set the CO but make sure timing and ignition system is all good before the final adjustment on the fuel mixture.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

i tune mine by ear and drivability
the emissions test from my last mot shows just how good it was.
i ended up making it slightly richer to be on the safe side seeing as the recomended Co is about 1
with a little understanding the weber is really easy to tune and mess about with especially seing as theres only 2 screws you need to play with :pilot:

nolegjoe

Post by nolegjoe »

Got the work done now. Can't believe how quiet the car is now! runs lovely.

james butler

Post by james butler »

glad to hear its now sorted, keep an eye on the fuel filter and make sure its changed every year.
the weber is very susceptible to dirt blocking up the jets causing many running issues and faults so allways replace the filter regularly to prevent dirt ingress and if you do ever have any issues make sure you clean the jets out first one at a time.
also watch out for the rubber carb flange splitting which is another common thing to happen.

nolegjoe

Post by nolegjoe »

Flange is new in the summer, so hopefully that's good. Also, I now have two filters in line now. Will keep my eye on them

DMReynolds

Post by DMReynolds »

Hey - don’t suppose your Pierburg is now for sale? Or was it the one that I failed to win on eBay on Thursday...

D

VWChris101

Post by VWChris101 »

For what its worth, I do recall working on these when they were new.

Even the best trained, most experienced technicians sometimes struggled with these back then. Nice to see some things dont change!

james butler

Post by james butler »

its also the expense, to find out the culprit dodgy part you have to swap parts, which if you dont have known working good bits is a very expensive exercise.
the weber in contrast is so simple but wont have the refinements the peirburg, a small price to pay for having something that works and if it doesnt mechanics dont run a mile.
its a shame as the peirburg when working is a great carb.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

VWChris101 wrote:For what its worth, I do recall working on these when they were new.

Even the best trained, most experienced technicians sometimes struggled with these back then. Nice to see some things dont change!
And there I was, hoping you were going to be the saviour of our Peirburgs.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX