Air Filter change

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
ScalaSam
fill in the right answer: 15

Air Filter change

Post by ScalaSam »

Hello.

Question. To change the air filter on a mk2 injection where do you have to look/what do you remove and how do you remove it?

Also, any recommendations as to good air filters?

Thanks,
Sam

1990 Scala Injection
No others yet...
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Air Filter change

Post by mark1gls »

The air filter is not easy to get to, its in the black box near the battery and has the meter head and fuel filter fitted to the top of it, there is 4 or 5 clips around the box which are not easy to reach. Un clip the clips and lift up the top, you can only just lift it enough to pull the filter out from the side of the air box facing the engine, when refitting becarful not to trap and wires going to the battery.
I fitted a K&N air filter as you don't have to change it every year and they come with a million mile warranty, you do need to clean and re oil it after 100,000 miles!

So you can just leave it in there and job done, I do remove mine, bang out any thing stuck to the filter and clean out the air box as leaves etc gets blow in there but I just check in there when replacing my fuel filter as it's easier with that out of the way.

The filter will pay for it self over time, I've had mine for 17 years so it's has paid for it self by now...

Places to get one. Make sure it's for a injection car as carb ones are smaller, Mk1 golf cabriolet and early Mk2 golf Gti with the DX engine all use the same air box and air filter.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... 424&000522

Cheapest place I found so far.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/33-2002-Replac ... delId=1948

Check eBay?
I believe the part number is 33-2002 from the K&N website but please double check.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
ScalaSam

Post by ScalaSam »

Thank you for the tips!

Will look into getting the k&n as you mentioned, in the two years of ownership I've never had a look.

1990 Scala Injection
No others yet...
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

When did you last replace the fuel filter?

Membership No. 323
DJPremier

Post by DJPremier »

Thanks for that Amazon link. Mines due for a change, so I'm upping the game to a K&N on the Storm :-)

Shiny Metallic Brown MKII Storm
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

DJPremier wrote:Thanks for that Amazon link. Mines due for a change, so I'm upping the game to a K&N on the Storm :-)
No worries, Fit K&N along side fuel filter change as it's much easier to lift up the top of the air box with out pulling on fuel lines. Also good time to give the air box a good clean out.

Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Just my opinion but forget the k&n filter, it keep it original and fit a proper filter, the one the car is meant to have. Cheap and correct.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

The K &N air filter I've posted the link to is just like the paper filter fitted to the car it's just better at letting air into the engine and does not need changing every couple of years.

I agree with you if changinging the air intake to a K&N filter which sits on top of carb or instead of the air box on injection cars as you can have problems when the weather gets cold as no hot air and in the summer it's hard to get cold into the engine.

Membership No. 323
haddock_n_chips

Post by haddock_n_chips »

Pipercross are good slightly cheaper alternative to K&N who are in my opinion getting too expensive

Trouble with K&N is there is only 1 exclusive source in the UK, so all the sellers you see have had to buy or by from some who bought from that source

I've had Pipercross in the Scala for over 10 years, still fine, still works :)

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

K&N air filter for sale on this site, but not sure which type of car it's for?

http://sciroccoregister.co.uk/carforum/ ... 76#p147276

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Sorry it won't fit fuel injection cars, good if you are looking for a K&N for a carb car.

Membership No. 323