Coolant leaking at inlet manifold, screwing everything, 1.8 carb

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Chazwozza
fill in the right answer: 15

Coolant leaking at inlet manifold, screwing everything, 1.8 carb

Post by Chazwozza »

Heya, I've got an '88 Scala which is fitted with the 1.8 Carb. It's still using the original pierburgh carb, which up until now has been pretty fine.

Anyway, I've just had quite a catastrophic failure. Basically, the coolant tube running under the inlet manifold has sprung a leak, which then drips coolant down onto the exhaust manifold. This then boils, causing much steam. It also seems to be getting into the exhaust somehow, causing steam out the exhaust.

I don't know quite how, but this also seems to have f***ed the idle, which is now varying from non-existent to far too low. I assume there is some mechanical way in which the carb is controlled via this water temperature, which is now obviously ruined?

Anyway, has anyone experience anything like this? Do I just use generic coolant hose for that area? Is an exact width important? Apologies for my ignorance on the subject, but not an area I've ever had an issue before.

Thanks for any help

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Coolant leaking at inlet manifold, screwing everything, 1.8 carb

Post by mark1gls »

There is a small rubber grommet which the coolant from the head runs into the inlet manifold, the rubber goes hard and brittle over time and breaks.
That could be your problem?

You will need to remove the inlet manifold to replace the rubber grommet and fit a new gasket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-C ... nrusI0TsGw

Fixing your coolant leak will hopefully solve the running/idle problem.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Chazwozza

Post by Chazwozza »

mark1gls wrote:There is a small rubber grommet which the coolant from the head runs into the inlet manifold, the rubber goes hard and brittle over time and breaks.
That could be your problem?

You will need to remove the inlet manifold to replace the rubber grommet and fit a new gasket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-C ... nrusI0TsGw

Fixing your coolant leak will hopefully solve the running/idle problem.
Thanks, was not aware of that grommet, definitely coming from that area though. I'll give it a go.

Chazwozza

Post by Chazwozza »

Just to be thorough:

The issue is now resolved, the rubber grommet mentioned above was indeed compromised and the seal more generally wasn't looking good. What's more, one of the inlet manifold bolts and two of the exhaust manifold nuts had disappeared. This obviously contributed to the leak, but also explains why there was steam coming out the exhaust at the rear.

Can also confirm, as said elsewhere on the forum, that it is just about possible to remove the inlet manifold in situ, but it is incredibly difficult. In hindsight it may have just been quicker to take the entire head out.

Thanks for the help mark1gls

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Glad to hear it's fixed and thanks for the update. :-)

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323