Cam shaft oil seal

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Cam shaft oil seal

Postby GTXGTXGTX » Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 am

The next problem is the replacement of the camshaft oil seal. What's the best way to get the old one out if you don't have the special vw tool?

Thanks

unknownmale

Re: Cam shaft oil seal

Postby unknownmale » Thu May 18, 2017 10:54 am

I didn't use any specific tools, may as well change the cambelt too.

Only specific tool you'll need is something to tighten the tensioner. I used 90 degree snap ring pliers. Or you can buy the tool on eBay for a tenner.

Tools you'll need;

- Something to tighten the tensioner (I used snap ring pliers)
- Socket set
- Paint pen (For marking timing)
- Torque wrench (Only really matters for the camshaft caps in my opinion) But you can use it for the tensioner, rocker cover bolts and cam pulley bolt if unsure)
- Brake cleaner - I use the non chlorinated stuff as it all evaporates without leaving a residue (I just use this to clean up where the seal sits).
- Pulley holder - (Really worth getting of these for about £20 as it'll save you a lot of hassle when removing the cam and (If you choose to) the intimidate pulley)

Also worth doing the intimidate shaft seal while you're at it - (Same part number as the cam seal)

- David

unknownmale

Postby unknownmale » Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 am

You can change the seal without removing the camshaft, but I find it pinches on the head when doing it this way. I prefer to takeout or at least loosen the caps so the cam shaft lifts up a bit so you can be sure the seal is properly seated.

- David

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Postby mark1gls » Thu May 18, 2017 10:31 pm

You need to remove the cog from the end of the cam shaft and that is the hardest job as it's done up tight.
I set the timing marks, remove the rocker cover and place a bit of wood along the head and I use my trolley jack bar and poke it through a hole in the cog and rest it on the wood to hold the cog stroll while you loosen the nut, you will need a long bar or torque wrench to undo the nut.
I just undo it a little and then set the timing to remove the cam belt from the cog. There is a white mark on the lower black plastic cover which you can line up and check the mark in the dissy with the rotor arm.

Picture of timing marks for a 1988 DX engine.

Be carful not to lose the woodruff key when removing the cog.
I smeared a little blue hylomar on the end cam cap as it's metal on metal.

Smear a little oil on the new seal and fit to cam shaft and fit cap.

Make sure you undo the cam caps nut in the right order as you can bend the cam shaft if not careful, order is in the hanynes manual.
Place the wood on the other side of the head and use the bar on the other side to torque up the cam shaft bolt.

Check timing marks again when putting cambelt back on.

ImageImage
Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

Return to “Engines”