Parts suppliers to avoid..?

NEW section - if you're having a mare with Vagcat and need a quick answer stick your requests in here. Keep things simple and only reply if you know the correct answer.
Don't know German? look here
Forum rules
Be clear - e.g - Mk1 Bumper clips, Mk2 filler neck - 55l tank, Mk2 wiper motor (single wiper) - you get the drift?
hanna.melbo
fill in the right answer: 15

Parts suppliers to avoid..?

Post by hanna.melbo »

I have seen some great threads on here regarding where to get parts, but i was wondering is there anywhere to avoid? Parts quality not up to standard that sort of thing... bad experiences? Seeing as i need some parts soon it will be interesting to hear peoples thoughts...

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Parts suppliers to avoid..?

Post by mark1gls »

Couple of things I've not been happy with is Meyle front strut top bushes, they seem to give up and separate even if you are not driving the car, Febi better but still not as good as they used to be.
Standard Boge shocks also don't seem to last long, a couple of years service and they are shot, I've been through 3 sets of front shocks!

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

The quality of parts GSF supply has got worse / cheaper I think

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

All the EU based ones - autodoc, onlinecarparts, buycarparts - are all the same company. They have really good prices but not much good if you're in hurry for parts.

Stick to German made parts - Sachs, Boge, Lemforder, Febi-Bilstein, Meyle, Bosch, Hella etc and you'll generally be OK. Continental/Gates for belts.