Footman James multicar

For all insurance related queries. Opinions expressed here do not represent the official view of Scirocco Register. If in doubt contact an insurance company or broker.
Forum rules
Ask away but please remember that most advice in this section may not necessarily apply to you and your situation. If in doubt contact an insurance company or broker.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Footman James multicar

Post by the edmundator »

Just added my mk1 Storm to a policy I recently opened with Footman James, so now on a multicar policy. Much easier process than other insurers, so from the point of view of taking out cover, I would recommend them.

I've got agreed value of £10,000 with no need to supply photos or extensive documentation - looking at what the trade are asking for low mileage (mine's done about 53k) mk1s at the moment I think that's a fair representation of what I might have to pay to replace it should it be a total loss.

Unlike previous multi-car policies I've held, you can specify a mileage for all the cars on the policy, rather than individual mileages - so no worries if one of the cars ends up being used more than the others.

I also took out their salvage option.

A new policy for the Storm was going to come out at over £200 once I'd got agreed value and all the other bits and bobs I wanted, whereas it's cost me about £35 to add it as an extra car.

Well worth considering going along this route if you have several cars to insure.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
james butler

Re: Footman James multicar

Post by james butler »

like wise i can vouch for FJ multi car policy, they did my fleet with agreed valuations no pictures necessary.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by unknownmale »

Wish i'd known that before! I have both mk2s on separate FJ policies! At least I know for renewal!

- David
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Yes, big price difference. They advertise that you need 3+ cars, but when I asked they were happy to cover two classics.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

interesting.
they became more tricky to deal with after last takeover which led me to go to Brentacre instead. #

noted.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Insurance update: 4 cars with Footman James (same policy) 3000 miles between them, all garaged, drive-to-work, legal cover, salvage retention, agreed values, £364.61.

Cars and the values I've plucked out of the air* for this year are:

Mk2 Golf GL - £5000 (My grandmother's, then mine, 80k)

Mk2 Scirocco GTX - £5000 (Cpt McHugh's, then mine, 100k, just had comprehensive mechanical refurb at Rust Republic and due for engine rebuild/bodywork next year)

Mk1 Scirocco GLi - £8000 (last owner for >30yrs, 80k, standard)

Mk1 Scirocco GTi/Junior Cup replica - £10,000 (fully rebuilt from rust-free shell and largely new mechanical parts by Rust Republic, modified as close as possible to '76 Cup car spec, pending completion of the racing safety mods and some fine-tuning to suspension and engine at Northampton Motorsport). Not really sure how to value this one, but I think I'd be happy with £10k if it was written off.

*I follow mk1 and mk2 Scirocco values closely on eBay and the classic car classifieds, and keep my ear to the ground when interesting cars are moved on... I think I know roughly what market values are.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Post by Nate »

Has anyone got experience of claiming from doorman James?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

decided to go with the clubs recommended issue free insurers, and cant fault them so far, amazing and helpfull on the phone and explained everything in detail so its not confusing. im now with fj

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

I've now taken out a policy with Footman James to cover my two Mk2's, a Scirocco and a Golf, for not a lot more money than one car with another company. Limited mileage, agreed value and salvage retention.
Also got a better deal on my recovery as well, through a different company, but we'll see how good it is when I need to use it.