Insurance on mk2 for young driver

For all insurance related queries. Opinions expressed here do not represent the official view of Scirocco Register. If in doubt contact an insurance company or broker.
Forum rules
Ask away but please remember that most advice in this section may not necessarily apply to you and your situation. If in doubt contact an insurance company or broker.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Insurance on mk2 for young driver

Post by the edmundator »

There is a small feature on getting classic car insurance as an under-25 in the current Classic Cars Weekly (newspaper).

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
connorj19
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by connorj19 »

I'm 20 / coming up 21 in november, compare sites ranged from £1000 to £ 2500 for a 91 gt2 1.8 8v
I live in a OK postcode area too. So if you get a quote less than mine your doing well dude

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

the edmundator wrote:There is a small feature on getting classic car insurance as an under-25 in the current Classic Cars Weekly (newspaper).
Okay thanks! I'll check it out!

1984 MK2 GL
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

connorj19 wrote:I'm 20 / coming up 21 in november, compare sites ranged from £1000 to £ 2500 for a 91 gt2 1.8 8v
I live in a OK postcode area too. So if you get a quote less than mine your doing well dude
Okay thanks mate, yeah I was hoping somewhere in that region tbh, I don't mind paying a little bit more as long as I can get behind the wheel. Are you driving your Rocco now?

1984 MK2 GL
james butler

Post by james butler »

when i first started driving in 2006 i had a tracker fitted by the insurance company "more than" who said if i didnt drive between 11pm - 6am they would lop £1400 of my insurance which brought it down to £1200 for my first year.
depends on how determined you are to drive the car.
be warned though the tracker monitors your driving once the ignition is on so be carefull because the evidence could be used against you in a claim.
i had the tracker with more than for 2 years and then switched to someone else because i had 2 year NCB.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

james butler wrote:when i first started driving in 2006 i had a tracker fitted by the insurance company "more than" who said if i didnt drive between 11pm - 6am they would lop £1400 of my insurance which brought it down to £1200 for my first year.
depends on how determined you are to drive the car.
be warned though the tracker monitors your driving once the ignition is on so be carefull because the evidence could be used against you in a claim.
i had the tracker with more than for 2 years and then switched to someone else because i had 2 year NCB.
Ah okay, I'll see about that then, was that with a Rocco or other classic car?

1984 MK2 GL
james butler

Post by james butler »

1st year was mk2 golf
2nd year was rocco

connorj19

Post by connorj19 »

Jiffy wrote:
connorj19 wrote:I'm 20 / coming up 21 in november, compare sites ranged from £1000 to £ 2500 for a 91 gt2 1.8 8v
Okay thanks mate, yeah I was hoping somewhere in that region tbh, I don't mind paying a little bit more as long as I can get behind the wheel. Are you driving your Rocco now?
She's off the road for the winter now & undergoing a engine conversion. Tucked up in a nice warm garage too

james butler

Post by james butler »

just be carefull looking for the cheapest quotes as they are quite sly in what they will and wont cover and some are literally just to get you behind the wheel.

Jiffy

Post by Jiffy »

james butler wrote:just be carefull looking for the cheapest quotes as they are quite sly in what they will and wont cover and some are literally just to get you behind the wheel.

Okay, thanks for the advice :-D

1984 MK2 GL