Mars Red detailing....

wash, wax, polish, products, methods, fine fettling
vwdeviant

Mars Red detailing....

Post by vwdeviant »

Anyone got any top tips for keeping on top of "Mars-(Orange) Red" paint?

I've just landed a Kestral DAS Orbital polisher but a bit scared to use it on Red knowing just how soft the Factory paint is!

Am I going have to just build up the old popeye muscles :training: and do it by hand?

Risocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mars Red detailing....

Post by Risocco »

Has the paint faded?

SRP by hand would give you decent results dude, but by polisher would speed up the process. Try a slow speed first on a finishing pad, if not crank up the speed and move to a more aggressive pad. Most machine polishing is trial-and-error IMHO. I'd also be wearly of using compounds on red, but a pro might go with a Menzerna/3M/Meguiars cut and finish with Menzerna Final Finish. But I'm no pro by any meens. Be prepared for your pads to be red by the end of it tho! :hehe:

Naturally seal with a durable wax like Collinite 915/Dodo Juice/Finish Kare or whatever floats ya boat :chill:

If the paints already nice, just a good quality polish like Zaino Show Car and again with the wax. Keep ontop of it with spary waxes after each wash. Should give protection for atleast 3 months, have seen reports of some of the above waxes lasting 6+months but I've no experience of that, only what seen on tinternets.

Where in the country are you dude?

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
vwdeviant

Post by vwdeviant »

Am in sunny Bucks...

Last time I saw the paint (Nov) didn't appear too bad (but was under 4 years of storeage dust)

I'll probably go with Megs-Clay/Megs stage-1/SRP (couple times)/EGP/couple layers of Colinite 915...All by hand... :training: Pretty much same routine as I have done on my Pearl Grey Corrado...

Bumpers and the unpainted Rubber "body-kit" will be given a dose of APC and then a good few goings over of A-G Trim "snot" too! :vcool:

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

OK mate, don't be shy with the pics when its done!

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
vwdeviant

Post by vwdeviant »

Pretty much how it looked in Nov...

vwdeviant

Post by vwdeviant »

Oh and that's the 4 year's worth of Dry storage dust on it... water drops from opening the Garage door in the rain!

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

That will come up a treat mate, good luck with it!

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
dozzum

Post by dozzum »

i did mine by hand with the tcut with red stuff in.
Works a treat and brings it up nice.
Only bits to be careful on are edges as ive found it can go down to white either because the paint is thinner or more force gets put on it when polishing.
Just take it nice and slow it come up beautiful.

MJK 24

Post by MJK 24 »

I use Autoglym HD Wax on mine. I give it a coat everytime I wash the car. If I've not got time to wax it, I don't wash it. Net result is super shiny paintwork that resists fading even in the middle of summer.