Faded bumpers

wash, wax, polish, products, methods, fine fettling
shiftystylin
fill in the right answer: 10

Faded bumpers

Post by shiftystylin »

Hi guys,

Just got back to doing some more work on my scirocco and just wondered how you can bring life back into faded bumpers? I've tried back to black before but it lasts about a month, if that and is difficult to put on in Plymouth, the second wettest city in the UK. Any hints, tips or suggestions? Thanks for your time! :good:

Rusty dan

Re: Faded bumpers

Post by Rusty dan »

ideas include, spraying bumpers satin black, using a heat gun to turn them black, continue with the autoglym bumper care etc..

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Rusty dan wrote:ideas include, spraying bumpers satin black, using a heat gun to turn them black, continue with the autoglym bumper care etc..
Autoglym Bumper Care is a cracking product, as is Chemical Guys New Look Trim Dressing. Theres also a product called Forever Black, its a dye kit that lasts years, not used it myself but a chap on here raved about it.

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Risocco wrote:Theres also a product called Forever Black, its a dye kit that lasts years, not used it myself but a chap on here raved about it.
It wasn't me (that raved about it, but it is pretty damned good!

:ebay:

Not found it in any main stream shops, but then I haven't bought any for a coupla years.

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

what about the old boot polish? banana skin technique?

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by monzajake »

heat gun....

jim91

Post by jim91 »

Risocco wrote:[
Autoglym Bumper Care is a cracking product,

Alex
Great stuff, make sure and put a few coats on, but don't do it if it's damp or any chance of rain, if the cars in a garage you're sorted!

gayle

Post by gayle »

peanut butter.sounds strange but it does work.just dont use crunchy...

boycott shampoo.demand real poo.
shiftystylin

Post by shiftystylin »

I've tried a lot of autoglym stuff and turtle wax products but they don't seem to last. I'll give that forever black dye stuff a go and chuck some pic's on if it works! Cheers for all the suggestions! (peanut butter sounded good but being a student I can't waste good food!)

Dr. Dub
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Dr. Dub »

I just painted mine satin black from an aerosol. But it's VERY important to de-grease the bumpers before applying any paint. I used a red scotchbrite soaked in bodywipe solvent to get into the textured nooks and crannies. Then give it another wipe on/wipe off with bodywipe. This will remove any polishes and so on.

Did mine two years ago and they still look great.

Currently without a car (long story)
Previous rides. 2x 89 Scirocco GTs & 84 Storm
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Funky Diver wrote:
Risocco wrote:Theres also a product called Forever Black, its a dye kit that lasts years, not used it myself but a chap on here raved about it.
It wasn't me (that raved about it, but it is pretty damned good!

:ebay:

Not found it in any main stream shops, but then I haven't bought any for a coupla years.
Ahh so you would recomend it too matey? Do you think it would work on the rear spoiler too?
shiftystylin wrote:I've tried a lot of autoglym stuff and turtle wax products but they don't seem to last. I'll give that forever black dye stuff a go and chuck some pic's on if it works! Cheers for all the suggestions! (peanut butter sounded good but being a student I can't waste good food!)
For what its worth mate, I agree. Some Auto Glym stuff isn't too good, but that bumper stuff is awesome.

Look forward to the pictures with the dye kit mate! :good:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Risocco wrote:Do you think it would work on the rear spoiler too?
I haven't had to use it on my spoiler, next time I am cleaning the car, which will be a while, I'll give it a once over and let you know.

The only difficulty I think you may have here is hte amount of crud that would have absorbed into the spoiler... is it me or are the damned things porous? :dance:

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

They are dude, like a rubber sponge or something! Every product I try seems to drain into the bleedin thing!

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

in with house moving late last summer, i strapped a metal rose arch to the roof bars... it was made of 1/2" steel tube, painted on the outside and the bottom had been stuck in the ground for a few years.
shouldn't have been surprised when rust-water poured out, all over my spoiler! after cleaning, hosing, scrubbing, quitting, I did the whole spoiler with auto glym bumper shine. Shifted the rust stain, and it's stayed black better than any other bits of the car i've done with it, even with the rain, snow etc... :D

andy69

Post by andy69 »

I changed from Autoglym Bumper Care to Meguiars Gold Class Trim Detailer after an offer at a show. I've found it much better; it lasts longer and doesn't run streaks in the rain onto paintwork like Autoglym can. Using it on Bumpers I put it on with a soft brush as well; it gets into the little dimples really well that way.
It's also really good for detailing the bay.

1986 Mk2 1.6GT tintop
1977 Type 2 Devonette