Beesting aerial mounting

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Beesting aerial mounting

Post by the edmundator »

I'm upgrading to DAB in one of my cars and therefore need a new aerial - I've opted for a roof-mounted beesting because this gives the best reception. I need to know two things:

1) What is the best route for the cable? I was thinking of running it along the floor and then up the C-pillar on the passenger side.

2) Positioning the mouting hole - ideally I'd like the measurement from the back of the roof to the aerial on an original 16v to get a "factory" positioning. After drilling the hole I suppose I ought to prime and paint the edges (won't need to look beautiful, but will need to be water-resistant!).

Any other advice from anyone who's fitted one of these gratefully received.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Mr Funk

Re: Beesting aerial mounting

Post by Mr Funk »

Can only make suggestions o the wiring but it would be dead easy to poke it through and have it meet the same wiring for the heated rear window/wash wipe stuff. That way it's all out of the way and isn't a gigantic pain in the bung to hide and should be shielded enough not to give a crappy reception (although I am lost with DAB)

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Measure the poisition for the mounting hole carefully, so that when fitted the aerial does not foul the tailgate when open.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

the edmundator wrote:I'm upgrading to DAB in one of my cars and therefore need a new aerial - I've opted for a roof-mounted beesting because this gives the best reception. I need to know two things:

1) What is the best route for the cable? I was thinking of running it along the floor and then up the C-pillar on the passenger side.

Any other advice from anyone who's fitted one of these gratefully received.
This is exactly how mine is routed, just bare in mind to give yourself enough slack at the stereo end, mine is just short and I've had to route it over the carpet (but under my mat) to compensate :blush:

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

When I fitted mine I think the first measurement I took was from the edge of the tailgate back to the center of the aerial positioning it so it wouldn't hit the glass when the hatch was open, I ran a strip of masking tape across the width of the roof parallel to the hatch to mark this. Then measured the width of the roof and after dividing it in two ran another strip of tape from the back of the roof to meet with the first strip of tape to form a cross and give me the position to drill.

Measure it several times before you get the drill out! The tape also stopped the drill bit wandering and scratching the paint.

Have also found this after a quick search for some old pages i remember seeing
FAQ) Can someone who has the stock 16v Fuba antenna do me a favour? I am
installing the Fuba on my car (it goes in for paint next week - YAY!), and
I need to know where on the roof to drill the hole. The sheet that came
with my antenna (and yes, I bought the real Fuba antenna from VW) has
dimensions for the Golf, Polo and Passat - but no Scirocco.

The measurement I need is from the back of the roof to the centre of the
antenna base. For the Golf, it gives a dimension of 120 mm ... but I
would rather have someone measure it so I know I'm drilling in the right
place.

A) Answer is 4.275 inches Rear lip to center of Fuba when mounted.
http://www.scirocco.org/faq/exterior/#fuba

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB