Direct replacement speakers

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
philiano

Direct replacement speakers

Post by philiano »

Hi all

I'm looking to replace all 4 speakers in my GT2, as a couple of them have started 'crackling' when I play music loudly. Anyone have a link to some decent direct replacement ones? I'm not looking for 'top of the range ultra-bass' ones, just standard replacements

ta
Phil

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Direct replacement speakers

Post by ianaudia4 »

I have installed Alpine 6x4's in both my cars, perfect fit and were about £35 a pair, good for 150 watts.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
MacColl
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MacColl »

philiano

Post by philiano »

epic! Cheers for linking that. Are front and back the same size? If so I'm grabbing them.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Yep, (6x4)x4.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Absolute bargain that, you won't be disappointed with the sound.

philiano

Post by philiano »

speakers are on their way. When they arrive, do I need to change any wiring (add adaptors) or will the VW plastic plugs fit on them?

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

The standard VW plugs will not fit, cut them off and refit new connectors that fit on the spades, a couple of quid tops.

philiano

Post by philiano »

will any spade connections do? Or do they have to be amp rated? I'll drop into Halfords 2morro and pick some up

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

I just fitted the correct size, makes no difference as far as I'm concerned.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

I bought Alpines for my door cards in my 89 GT and have just been trying to make some baffles to seal the speakers in like in this thread..
http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carf ... =33&t=7928

I made this as a practice template which might well do the job itself..

Problem is the grills don't fit with these speakers on there own :shocking: unless I'm missing something?? can I fit them from the back to recess them in?

See the terrible gap round the speaker that will stop any bass properties..
Grill won't fit (sorry for quality but it was getting dark)

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

You need to take a dremel to the bars that run horizontally on the back of the grill to get the Alpines to fit.

Bass wise your'e unlikely to see massive differences from fitting a baffle as the speakers really aren't built for it and you'll essentially be making a big sealed box with very little air flow which will only make matters worse if anything.
Better off with bigger speakers (components or woofers) and/or a sub

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Mr Funk wrote:You need to take a dremel to the bars that run horizontally on the back of the grill to get the Alpines to fit.

Bass wise your'e unlikely to see massive differences from fitting a baffle as the speakers really aren't built for it and you'll essentially be making a big sealed box with very little air flow which will only make matters worse if anything.
I'm going to disagree and agree here...

The disagree bit:
The issue with the gaps round the drivers is phase cancellation... not response. In the "big sealed enclosure" the driver has lots of air to compress, meaning that its excursion will not be limited by the air pressure on the back of the cone. Hence it's not going to work significantly "harder" than it does with the gap round the edge. The response in the bass region (right up to about 400Hz) appears to be improved by blocking the gaps, as that is where the phase cancellation (air from the back of the driver moving in the opposite direction to that from the front which cancel each other out) is most apparent.

The agree bit:
The typical 6x4" speakers tend to have a quoted frequency response down to 80 or so Hz. This will usually be a -3dB point on a pretty steep slope, so for 0dB (flat response)it'll be more like 100 or 120 Hz... so no, you won't get huge bass from them, and yes, bigger speakers or/and a sub are the only ultimate solution.

The plug:
If you're interested in the doorcards I built in the thread mentioned above, they can be for sale complete. PM me.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Thanks for input,

The fact is though is that these speakers are not direct replacement, If I'd known I think I would have gone ahead and made an install for the components I have.

Don't get me wrong I'll make them fit but just didn't want the hassle right now.

The raised lip of card on the alpines seems to be the problem.. removing this could cause more problems because of the protruding tweeter..

Along with the raised elliptical plastic on the grill..

Think I'll pop the cards off the door before I do anything hasty. Just want to make sure they are very well fixed and reasonably sealed to the door.

When I made components fit my Polo I had spent a long time on the Talk audio site looking at installs and as you say the components at the front is the best way. The other thing I seemed to see was actual metal tubes/rings being made to house the speakers to the actual door which created a large cavity for mid bass (I'm no expert on the science). However I think there is a balance here with making it look factory and not max power. I actually bought my Kenwood head unit knowing it wasn't the best brand but I think it has a look more in keeping with an older car.

Thanks for the offer of the cards but if there is one thing I can do with cars is any woodwork needed :good:

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

fonzooorooo wrote:
Mr Funk wrote:You need to take a dremel to the bars that run horizontally on the back of the grill to get the Alpines to fit.

I'm going to disagree and agree here...

The disagree bit:
The issue with the gaps round the drivers is phase cancellation... not response. In the "big sealed enclosure" the driver has lots of air to compress, meaning that its excursion will not be limited by the air pressure on the back of the cone. Hence it's not going to work significantly "harder" than it does with the gap round the edge. The response in the bass region (right up to about 400Hz) appears to be improved by blocking the gaps, as that is where the phase cancellation (air from the back of the driver moving in the opposite direction to that from the front which cancel each other out) is most apparent.

The agree bit:
The typical 6x4" speakers tend to have a quoted frequency response down to 80 or so Hz. This will usually be a -3dB point on a pretty steep slope, so for 0dB (flat response)it'll be more like 100 or 120 Hz... so no, you won't get huge bass from them, and yes, bigger speakers or/and a sub are the only ultimate solution.

The plug:
If you're interested in the doorcards I built in the thread mentioned above, they can be for sale complete. PM me.
Dude, you are clearly the Jedi is this field!
The components in the front card thing is still my biggest problem along with that arsehat fact that as soon as I move I lose a lot of the sub as it's at the back and there's nothing in the rear. Sorely tempted to just run the Alpine replacements up front and build a slightly raised box to house some bigger speakers behind the front seats along with the sub. Sounds Chavtastic but the crayon drawings I did look better.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.