In Phase speakers any good?

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Dutch GT

In Phase speakers any good?

Post by Dutch GT »

Right, the mrs' GT has no head unit so I'm fitting my old Alpine at the weekend.
It's a few years old, but was a decent one with 50w amp and sub out-puts and time alignment correction and cross-over settings etc etc...

Anyway, for now, just a very basic set-up will do, so. I know Alpine do a 6x4 that goes straight in, but I can't help wondering what the IN PHASE range are like. I'm probably just drawn to their FOCAL inspired yellow cones (I have Focal components in my Golf and they sound fantastic, but were a lot more dosh and are amped etc).

Has anyone tried them or know of them, will the grilles go back on?

These ones on eBay and there is a shop near by so might surprise the mrs and fit some whilst she is away for the weekend.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phase-XTC64-160W- ... 1969wt_913

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -26008.htm

Or should I just get these:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product ... -20263.htm

Cheers

jxp
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: In Phase speakers any good?

Post by jxp »

Hi, I bought a set of XTC64 but due to the tweeters stick out out too much I had to mount them under the rear speaker mount in order to fit the original VW gril, easily done and keeps the standard looks. .If your using the gril supplied they fit as the factory ones do. Happy with the sound quality. If you are after speakers for the front door cards the in phase wont fit. Not sure if the Alpines have the same issue as cant see from the photos. If you do get the alpines can you let me know if they fit inthe front door cards as I need a set.

Cheers JXP

1985 MK2 Flash Silver GTX 1.8 8v
2002 Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Ah, good to know, thanks for that JXP.

I believe the Alpines do fit from what I read on here (think it was the same ones).
I will try and get some tonight and will let you know how it goes.
Hoping to have some kind of music fitted this weekend.
The Aerial has gone AWOL too, but that can wait as it seems a bit of hassle getting to it!

Paul

jxp

Post by jxp »

I also need an ariel but want a genuine VW one. They quite easy to do as I fitted a cheap temp one a few weeks ago. Front wheel and inner arch off and you can get to it. Before removing the old ariel I tied a draw string to the head unit end then pulled it out, then I had a way of feeding the new one through to the head. If it gets stuck you many need to remove the inner of the glove box.
Def let me know about the fit and I will buy a pair if OK.

Cheers

1985 MK2 Flash Silver GTX 1.8 8v
2002 Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Great tip for the aerial thanks !

Just called the shop local to me, but the Alpines are not in stock, so will be a week or so unless I find some at the weekend.
He did say that the Alpines were nice and flat though so I think they'll be fine. Will let you know.
Might even order an aerial now too.

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

The Alpines fit the front door cards and you can refit the grills, I have these speakers all round in the Scala and in the rear of the Storm, well recommended.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Well, managed to find a pair of Alpines this morning, so set about fitting them along with my old headunit.

As promised, here are pics. You can see that the tweeter unit sits slightly proud of the speaker basket,
Old v New:

And the grilles do indeed fit back on... however, they don't quite go all the way. The tweeter housing fouls the grille ever so slightly and prevents them from pushing all the way back in place. They do hold tight though and after a few door closes, they seem to hold well enough.
I guess the cloth inside the grille could be removed, and the plastic sanded back a couple of millimeters in the middle, but if they hold, I won't be bothering. It is hardly noticeable and as the speakers are not huge amplified jobbies, they don't rattle either:

The old Headunit is happy to see light of day after years locked away in a cupboard:

They sound good enough although I never heard the original speakers. I have my Focal components in my golf located in this position and think it's the best position by far, especially if you can angle them towards you a little. I used to have the tweeters in the mirror covers (standard position in a Mk4) but was very happy with the improvements when I re-located them lower. The sound still seems to be at dash board level. These in the 'rocco are not backed up by a sub, so don't compete at all against the Golf, but for £33 wired directly to the headunit (no amp), are well worth it.

DT1

Post by DT1 »

Are you sure that it's the tweeter catching and not the plastic rim on the speaker, they tend to interfere at the hinge of the plastic grill.

If it is, sanding down the centre of the grill won't help.

Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Just had a quick look, and I think you're right! I can see a mark in the cardboard that goes around the edge of the speaker from where the grille catches it (not effecting the cone though). There is a raised edge in the shape of the speaker on the back of the grille, maybe this needs cutting back a bit in key areas and it will fit. The drivers door grille fits almost perfect.

Well spotted.

DT1

Post by DT1 »

The lips are bit of a problem with the newer speakers.

Happened on my JBL's so I just took them off (they're only glued on lightly).

Some folk that have done this will tell you that their speaker cones came to bits afterwards, but I've never had that problem on any of the speaker sets I've used. I'll leave it up to you.

Having said that the lip on the Alpines looks lower than the lip on the JBL so you might get away with some judicious surgery on the door grill. :whistle:

Nate

Post by Nate »

Dutch GT wrote: I never heard the original speakers
once they get to this age, the original speakers are usually worse sounding than your average clock radio :hugegrin:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Ha, I would agree, thats why I didn't bother with a comparison. I have started to get rid of some classic british home hi-fi that in it's day were amazing!... 30 - 40 years on, and I would say it has done well, but nowhere near half decent new stuff.

As for the lip on the Alpines, it is just a ring of cardboard. Can't see a problem if it is removed, but I might trim the grille first or just leave it as it is. No concourse judge is ever going to be looking at it.

The mrs was happy and surprised, so job done.

Nate

Post by Nate »

Dutch GT wrote: I have started to get rid of some classic british home hi-fi that in it's day were amazing!... 30 - 40 years on, and I would say it has done well, but nowhere near half decent new stuff.
i still reckon my wharfedale linton mk2 speaker cabs are the best i've ever owned. sound loads better than my new mission bookshelfs. mind you, they did get re-coned about 15 years ago :hugegrin:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

I must admit, I still can't quite bring myself to put my B&W DM7 on eBay even though I got rid of the Quad 33 / 303 last week (loved that thing for it's looks alone).
I had a listen to some B&W CM1's, Tiny speakers, but sounded miles better! But, never have the spare cash to throw at a full system... and now thinking of my weekend golf and new Focals... Genesis... Hmmmm.

MrD

Post by MrD »

B& W speakers rule,had a set years ago !!

Check out the stuff on here,unreal,not car related but very impressive

http://www.clearly-av.co.uk/blog/10-mos ... r-systems/

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.