Surround Sound!!

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Funky Diver
fill in the right answer: 10

Surround Sound!!

Post by Funky Diver »

http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25 ... index.html

Effing Cool!!!!

My ICE budget just made a meander into a different league, but for the money it's gonna cost.. decent amp and all the speakers (Pioneer again, lol) :hugegrin:

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Surround Sound!!

Post by ianaudia4 »

Quality gear mate. In my Audi, I have the BOSE sound system, it is awesome and loved it that much I had to buy a BOSE sound sytem for the house!
Funnily enough you can't buy BOSE as an after market upgrade for cars which is such a bummer!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

So basically you're saying rape and pillage a 2006 Audi in a scrappy, lol.

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Any Audi with BOSE mate!

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Any obvious pointers? ie "Bose" on the speakers... etc

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Mate, if you plan to get properly into car hi-fi, you should go on talk audio forums. Maybe put a post in the sq section (i get the impression you're after sound quality over anything else) and maybe ask "my budget is such-and-such, what's the best i can get with my money?". You'll get some really good advice on there. They're all very helpful.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

True enough... I shall do that closer to the "time" of me spending the dough though... it's a long way off just yet, and it's not just quality of sound I'm after, it all needs to have a bit of chic added in too.

I kinda quess though that the majority of stock advice will be Alpine.,.. however I kinda don't want to railroad myself on that as I just don't like the look of the gear Alpine chucks out :hehe: Hence kinda why I like the pioneer stuff, it's nice to look at too

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

I have an Alpine in the Scala, bluetooth and all that old balls! I got it because it lights up green and matches the dash and consol lights, there is very few companies that have green lights on their stereos now, there was a time when Pioneer did them.

I look forward to seeing what you make in the future bud. You not fancy a look up at Newcastle racecourse on Saturday?

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

ianaudia4 wrote: You not fancy a look up at Newcastle racecourse on Saturday?
I'd love to mate... alas I'm a little dish fitter and people have been booking Sky installs, lol. Still the £150 overtime should ease the pain :P

In terms of head unit, I'll be going down the double DI?N route personally... and current favourite is http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25 ... index.html

it has IP-Bus (for expandability)
iPhone hook up from the REAR, unlike a lot of them where you end up with bloody cables hanging off your chunez box... not nice...
And every conceivable file I'd ever want to play in the car - including Doovde (for those quiet moments at a show, or mooching around the country side... and to keep the kids quiet!!!
And it's just uber cool with it's fancy touch screen, lol.

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

A lot of them don't favour Alpine actually. I was surprised myself. I think it's because Alpine don't use top notch components like they used to and I presume Pioneer do moreso these days. My kit's slightly more oldschool Alpine from when they were definitely the best - I get the impression they're just not anymore.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
jbo

Post by jbo »

This has been around for a loonnnggg time. It's for pioneers high end products. Have you seen how much the head units are new?!?! Around a grand! Much cheaper buliding your own itx stlye car-pc. You will get more features for half the price. You can get other ip bus modules like satnav, handsfree (which i thinnk can even run the sat nav traffic updates over the air), extra aux in adapters and cd/md changers.

Alpines equilivent is also pretty kool. Junglist is right though, their older stuff had a a more "solid" feel to it. Again its what you pay for.

I used to have an awesome sony xplod head unit with a flip over face. Def not the best makes (sony standard branded high end head units are much better). It had an awesome feature that allowed you to change the phase of the front speakers bringing the sound up from the floor. It had a hhhuugggeee affect the sound coming out of the rocco.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

TBH I was thinking going CarPC instead of head unit... but then I think I'd prefer the simplicity of a single unit install, for my rocco at least.

I don't think I'll be going down the £1k route, but a decent head unit that'll operate my iPhone (for my full Dolly Parton collection) and then the radio and phone functionality. Don't really need satnav, I have a portable that'll do for those journeys when one's requiredm which will be just getting to shows n wotnot, but then I can just follow Mazellann anyways :hehe:

Not overly bothered about having CD/DVD in the cabin as I have a boot unit all ready set for it.

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

That pioneer double din unit you like, if you buy it don't forget you need the trim kit to go with it too. It's an extra 20 to 25 quid. Should be able to get the unit for around £420 so I recko you'd get them to throw the trim kit in free if you ask nicely. Properly mint piece of kit, that. When are you looking to buy it?

ImageImage
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

About the day before I need to start on the dash, lol.

It'll not be a while yet, I'm still stripping stuff down and getting the mechanicals sorted, so more than likely the interior is going to be my winter project. No point sitting at my sewing machine in the garage during the summer really.