Picking It Out and Pricing It Up

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Funky Diver
fill in the right answer: 10

Picking It Out and Pricing It Up

Post by Funky Diver »

So I've set a price target (notice I didn't say limit... I love scalable flexibilty, haha) of £1k on my ICE, to include EVERYTHING.... including the following (so far)

Amp
Speakers x 4 midrange
Speakers x 2 tweeters
Speaker x 1 Sub
Head Unit - iPhone compatible
Sound proofing (Dynamat or suitable variant in abundance!!)
Cabling, connectors and wiring
Handsfree Mobile Car Kit (already have)
ISO wiring adapters (already have)
Sharks Fin powered antenna - I'm actually thinking of not bothering at all, as it'd mean having to get a DAB tuner, but it looks cool I suppose.

Head Unit - for a change I'm actually going to spend some money instead of trolling around the tip for 3 to repair into one :D

So onto the question at hand (being a bit of a novice with ICE)

I'm looking at this amplifier because it's compact and seems to be fairly reasonable. This would therefore mean I would have to go Alpine on everything (I'm a snob, lol) although I'm also quite partial to Pioneer, but only have experience of their Home audio gear.

Now, how do cross-overs fit into the equation? Would I need to get 2 additional tweeters high up in the rear to match the front?

Mr Funk

Re: Picking It Out and Pricing It Up

Post by Mr Funk »

That's quite a list!

Component speakers normally come as kits so you get the woofer, the tweeter and the crossover. dead easy to wire up and do all the fiddly work for you.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

haha, I like lists, they help to create some order out of the chaos that is my right lobe, lol.

And yeah, tis a bit of a list, but I only want ot HAVE to do it once, so might as well get it right first time, seeing as the trimming is gonna be done around everything.

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

If you're planning on getting component speakers you're going to need to think about door/shelf builds. Unless you're going to bosh something together yourself, this probably won't be cheap. You're probably looking at £100+ for pro door builds.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

stu.gtx wrote:If you're planning on getting component speakers you're going to need to think about door/shelf builds. Unless you're going to bosh something together yourself, this probably won't be cheap. You're probably looking at £100+ for pro door builds.
That sounds about right. I did mine myself and they sound superb but the hours that ent into getting everything right sometimes I wondered if paying up wouldn't have been easier. Although I think I've perfected it now. Ish

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.