Dynamat

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Funky Diver
fill in the right answer: 10

Dynamat

Post by Funky Diver »

OK, so I've heard a smidge about the stuff, but never used it.

Anyone stuck it on their car? As good as the hype or just not up to scratch? Are there better products out there?

The plan is basically... sound insulate the whole cabin, lol. I want it whisper(ish) quiet in there on a moroway at 70 (if such a thing is possible!!) and get the most out of ma' tchooons (oh, and Radio 2 of course :dance: )

Mr Funk

Re: Dynamat

Post by Mr Funk »

Total fan boy. Give me half hour to grab some scram and I'll explain but I'm on the Pod

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Half an hour!! I can't wait that long... :dunno: :crying:

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

On a completely similar note, how well does it conform to complex shapes? I'm primarily thinking the spare wheel well as probably being the most complex to come across.

Been pricing "stuff" up ready for the rebuild and to do the WHOLE cabin with a mixture of dynamat and dynaliner, and it's not too shabby considering I'd hope it'd be a long term investment :P

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Right.....

Got my kit from the people I usually use down here (can PM you contact details rather than advertise directly) but they certainly know their onions and are dead helpful. I got a full kit which has five sheets of this:
Each sheet is roughly 80cm x 30cm and four was enough to cover a majority of what i needed. Five would easily do the doors and a large portion of the rear. To be honest i could do with a few more to get the wheel well, roof and a few others bits done but I'm more than happy.
Dead easy to use as well. Hairdryer (rain + Hairdryer outside = Mr Funk buying Miss Groove new hairdryer), a pair of scissors are all you need and it's really easy to mold.
Thought I had more pics of the rear but this was all I had:
To be honest the amount you need is all dependent on what you're thinking of doing. I stripped a lot out so there's more to rattle and make noise but keep the seats and stuff in and you'll get the result you need.
If it's any help I've also got superb acoustic cloth from the same place. The average bod can easily redo pretty much anything with it, really easy to use and really forgiving. My rear isn't perfect and i'm a picky feck so I'll do it again but it's absolutely fine for the time being:

If you need anything else give me a shout

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

That's sweet for visualisation for the time being. I will be in touch shortly, just updating the "plan" with pretty colours, lol.

I basically want to give the entire cabin a decent level of sound proofing, with extra insulation on the larger flat panels, doors, roof, etc.

Like the placement of your sub, good idea :good: