Component speakers

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Big Bad Baz
fill in the right answer: 10

Component speakers

Post by Big Bad Baz »

I've been considering upgrading the front speakers from the (very nice) JBLs tp something with a separate tweeter I can stuff into the dash somewhere.

Now, the JBLs fit perfectly into the door speaker receptacles and allow the grilles to be fitted as well.

Are there any component speakers out there that anyone can recommend where the main bit of the speaker will fit just as well?

F668VBD - Gone, but not forgotten.
stu.gtx

Re: Component speakers

Post by stu.gtx »

No mate, I don't believe you can get 6x4 components. You'll need to make some door speaker builds to house something like 5" or 6" rounds.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Rah rah Baz!

Can highly recommend components. Using a 6" woofer in the door pockets and tweeter in the dash. I can give you all the specs and whatnot when I drop off the seats or get me some spare door cards and I'd make them up for you. Give me a bell later and I'll get some pics over to you.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

I've got JBL 6x4s in the doors too... was thinking about disabling the tweeters in them, and putting seperate tweeters in the dash... logic'd dictate to me that I could just run capacitors as high pass on the tweeters just in the same way they are when they're integrated in the 6x4s. It'd save any cutting/mucking about with the door panels, and just mean a couple of cable holes through the dash. It'd get rid of the treble-pointing-at-your-ankles factor, but obviously'd do nothing to upgrade the basic sound of the JBLs... By the same token, seperate crossovers could go in...

My other thought was that there's a gap round the outside edge of the JBLs (well, there is on mine... assume everyone else has the same scenario) and that a few mins with the saw'd make a sealing ring which'd go in, fill the gap and stop the out-of-phase sound cancelling out the bottom end at the edge of the cone.

You'll notice, this has only got to the stage of thought so far... I may do something about it some time(!)

Oooh, you may be able to remove the tweeters from the JBLs... if there's a screw under the sticker on the back of the magnet assembly, remove it, chop the wires running to the tewwter, and pull it all out from the front.

Did this with a pair of Pheonix Gold 6x9"s after the clipping of my cheap headunit destroyed the bass/mids. :crying:

Hence, when I get round to doing something with mine, I'll be putting pheonix gold tweeters in... :vcool:

james butler

Post by james butler »

i was thinking of takin off/ out the mirror adjuster nob mechanism and fitting tweeters into the perfectly round/ flat hole. just think you only set your mirrors up once then never touch them again so mite aswell make use of the space. + then you wont be cutting holes in the precious dash.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

always find when I clean mine, I knock the mirrors, then they don't quite return to the right place, so end up tweaking them one way then the other...

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I think that's where they fitted tweeters on storms with leccy wing mirrors.

I've set my crossover to send all the bass to the sub and all the treble and mid to the four JBLs. It sounds absolutely crystal with no loss whatsoever as far as I can detect. I don't reckon there's much need for tweeters as the rear speakers are near ear height, so if you set the levels correctly you should get the full sound spectrum.

I think people underestimate the value of a quality head unit. It will make average speakers sound better than mint ones on an average head unit.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
james butler

Post by james butler »

yeah a decent head unit makes all the difference. mate of mine bought an alpine head unit the other day and it sounds fantastic even with basic speakers. i fully recomend a decent headunit

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I might get told off for this, but anyone wanting to take action on the above advice would benefit so here goes...
I've got a high end alpine head for sale. See for sale section.

Just thought i'd mention it as a lot of users don't check the for sale section.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage