Basics Of An ICE Install

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Risocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Basics Of An ICE Install

Post by Risocco »

Mr Funk has inspired me, I think the Golf needs an install. Not into BOOM BOOM music so epic bass aint really the goal here, but if somebody could explain the very basics, I'd really appreciate it.

How does an Amp work? How do you wire amps up? Do they power subs or speakers too? Would you recomend a sub? Do I know my arse from my elbow? ect....

Cheers guys :good:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Nate

Re: Basics Of An ICE Install

Post by Nate »

Risocco wrote:How does an Amp work?
it takes a really quiet "line level" signal from your head unit from the phono plugs on the back and makes it loads louder so it'll be heard thru your speakers
Risocco wrote:How do you wire amps up?
really simple. on the power side you have an earth which goes via a big chunky brown or black cable to the chassis, the main power wire which is red, similarly chunky and goes via a fuse to the battery +ve terminal and finally a small blue "trigger" which connects to your head unit. this turns the amp on and off with the head unit. you've then got connections for 1, 2 or 4 speakers, depending on the amp. then there'll be 2 pono sockets for connecting to the phono sockets on your head unit.

when i finally get the setup done for my beetle it will use 3 amps - a single channel amp for the sub and two 2 channel amps for front and rear speakers. the kenwood head unit i've go to go in has 3 sets of phono sockets on it - front, rear and sub. self explanatory really!
Risocco wrote:Do they power subs or speakers too?
either or both. depends how involved you want to get. basically, a high power amp running at 10% volume will give you clearer sound than a low power amp running flat out
Risocco wrote:Would you recomend a sub?
oh god yes. even sarah thinks they should be standard on all vehicles :hugegrin:
Sarah wrote:they even make the archers sound better
Risocco wrote:Do I know my arse from my elbow?
possibly not :nerner:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Ta bud, so if my head unit powers 4 speakers, what set up/gear should I be spending my hard earned on in your oppinion?

I currently own some decent componemnts and 2 sets of 6x9s and naturally a head unit :yup:

4 channel amp and sub you recomend fella?

Ta,

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Nate

Post by Nate »

what outputs has your amp got?

you can always build it up in stages - go for a sub and amp first. you can then always add another amp for the rears and a third for the fronts as and when you can aford it. don't forget to use decent speaker cable!

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

First things first... you need to make sure your head-unit has preamp outputs for an amp.

For example, this head-unit doesn't:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/stockholm.asp

But this one does:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/buenosaires.asp

If you want to improve the quality of your sound output, you should also consider component speakers. It's perfectly fine to have the bass frequencies round by your feet/arse, because your ears can't localize those frequencies well anyway. You want to separate out the (mid and) high frequencies to a speaker that's a bit closer to your ears. I had components in my camper and they were ace. For a subtle install in a mk2 golf, you could probably put the tweeters in the standard dashboard speaker holes.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
kariba

Post by kariba »

Def go for a sub.

10" for rock and metal as it gives a good punchy sound.
12" plus for dance/pop.

Neil Baker on old website.

1985 Mk2 Flash Silver GTX - Now sold to Millsy20
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

A high-power head unit gives enough power to avoid the need for amping your speakers unless you want mega volume. I run a 4x60w alpine head powering all 4 speakers pretty damn loudly and very clearly, plus an Alpine sub powered by a 200w amp running from the dedicated sub output on the head unit. One modest amp and one modest sub with standard set-up 4 6x4 speakers (not original, but a pair of JBLs and a pair of Pioneers). Total cost £400ish (all second hand but mint condition). I'd recommend this route if you're aiming for decent volume and high sound quality rather than if you're trying to rattle the windows free. It's loud enough to hear from up the road without being at distortion volume, so that's plenty for me.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

If you get an amp with high level inputs you can get away without the need for pre-outs on the back of the head unit. However, it'll sound better with high voltage pre-outs. Ideally you want at least front and dedicated sub pre-outs, depending on how many speakers you want. I only run a set of Focal components in the front doors and a 10inch sub in the boot and it's more than adequate for me. Sub's aren't just for dance music they also add depth to any music. I'd definitely recommend a sub, but you want to set it so it doesn't overpower the speakers. There's plenty 3-way amps on other forums but Ideally you want to hear them first.

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I've now upgraded to the next model up which has built-in crossover. It's sending all the low-end to the sub and the rest (200Hz upwards) to the 6x4s. I didn't think the sound could get any better than it was, but this proved me wrong. With zero bass coming through the 6x4s, they produce a super-crisp sound and the sub is handling anything I can throw at it still, which is now a lot more due to the much louder distortion point the 6x4s have gained with no bass coming through them.

As shit-hot as my old set-up was, it was almost there but not quite, so it's now in the for sale section if anyone's interested.

Anyway, my point is, the crossover's made such a difference that I'd recommend it highly. They can be bought as seperate parts and I reckon a totally worthwhile investment for any system with a sub involved if you can't find a head unit with it built-in. I think Pioneer do them for about £30 if I remember correctly. I think you might need 2 though, left and right or something. Can't remember.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

Risocco wrote:Mr Funk has inspired me, I think the Golf needs an install. Not into BOOM BOOM music so epic bass aint really the goal here, but if somebody could explain the very basics, I'd really appreciate it.

How does an Amp work? How do you wire amps up? Do they power subs or speakers too? Would you recomend a sub? Do I know my arse from my elbow? ect....

Cheers guys :good:

Alex
your kidding right? you play in umteen bands as a... guitarist? ...you play electric right? ... youget amplified right?

sorry! jjust shocked!

...if you need help installing, let me know :good:

Jay

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I'm currently loving the set up I have. But only when I'm stationary.
The problem I'm finding is that where I have nothing in the back the sub tends to lose it's punch. Am currently toying with remounting.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Check all the mounting screws round the perimeter of the cone. This happened with mine - I tightened all the screws up to ensure it was properly sealed and the difference was massive. I thought I'd broken something by wiring it wrong until I did that. You might find mounting it inverted works better too - give it a go while you're messing with the screws.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious - I know you're more clued up than me on car hi-fi.

ImageImage
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Actually something like the screws was pretty obvious but something I should check. Due to the fact that I was only messing about with the kit when I put the sub in i'm fairly certain I never screwed it down.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

Does the sub have an air-tight enclosure? If not you may need a free-air sub but I don't think they sound as good.