Radio and Speaker Question?

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
MikeS0000
fill in the right answer: 15

Radio and Speaker Question?

Post by MikeS0000 »

Hi Folks -

Been a long time, but hope springs eternal, unlike this Spring when we are looking for snow this Friday/Saturday :bye:

Anyhow I was doing pretty good with the Grey-Market Model 1985 Scirocco until a 20 year old kid in his brand new Giant Ford truck, on his phone, ran a red light and t-boned (not the Scirocco, phew) us.

It was 09/2018 and the wife and I have had 5 surgeries since then and just trying to manage the basics has been tough. What I hope my last cutting took place in March. Am learning to walk correctly again and trying to make a straight line. A 5# weight limit for now. Oh, he had bare, bare minimum in insurance... grrrr

OK, enough of that!

My question is about some speakers. (This was the Scirocco that was in a barn for 25+ years). Before that someone stole the radio, gauge next to it and two speakers in the 'lift board'(?) in the hatchback.

Could these have been original? Wires still there and holes are 4-3/4" to 5" in diameter.

Any suggestions on what to do to make it as original or of that period will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Gents!
- Mike

RoccoRhys

Re: Radio and Speaker Question?

Post by RoccoRhys »

Sorry to hear what happened, but glad you are making a recovery!

If you are talking about the parcel shelf there should be know holes, either side should be two 4x6 inch speakers as well as the front. I believe nokia speaker are what i took out of mine, i still got them if you want some photos all though the cones have all but disappeared.. and i cant help you in the original head unit..( but i know have a plug and play bluetooth hands free replacement)
Hope you recover well!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Head units:

If I remember rightly from looking previously they had a standard one which I think was called an Heidelberg lll
And then an upgraded one which you could get from the factory which was made by blaupunkt

As per speakers, none were on the parcel shelf as standard therefore these would have been fitted by a previous owner, they would be located either sides by the windows just under the metal shelf.
Take a look at the following post: http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=21262

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally got a couple of photos. There are cutouts, or the outline of such on the sides of the shelf feature, but the metal is still there and has never been removed.

These look like an owner's addition, but then again it wouldn't surprise me if it was a dealer's work. From my experience only....

This car had the custom color code, so maybe the buyer wanted the speakers there, probably never know.

I measured the cutouts and they vary from 4-3/4 to 5"s, so would a 6" speaker be the one. It seems they don't give that info on the boxes or online dimensions.

You guys are great. I did spin it down around the corner (actually around the hill as we are in the 'sticks') and got it inspected. No problems of course, as there are no emission control ports or catalytic converters, etc.

Best regards!
- Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

All US Scirocco brochures for 1982-88 are available here:

http://www.driversfound.com/scirocco/history/us/

It seems a radio/cassette with 4 speakers came as standard in 1982, 83 and 84. But then in 1985, no radio prep at all came as standard, but a radio/cassette with 4 speakers was available as an optional extra (possibly dealer fitted as you suggest). Then from 1986, radio prep with 4 speakers came as standard, but the radio itself was an optional extra.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

The original OEM speakers, if fitted, would have been 4x6 oval units in those metal side shelves. The attached picture is of the underside of mine. (I’m in the process of trying to reconnect the wire)

As far as I can tell there is no precise standard for car speaker sizes and it’s best to think of the sizes more as categories within which there is much room for variation. Another variable is the mounting hole pattern. I think if you have four on a circular speaker then the measurement is generally between diagonal holes, but other hole patterns exist.

My guess would be if the cutout is 4 3/4” then the speaker size it was intended for would have been 5 1/4” but that is not to say that a larger speaker wouldn’t fit. If the cutout is irregular that suggests to me DIY rather than professional fit.

It is quite common in the UK to find cars with butchered parcel shelves and it is possible here to source all the parts to restore to OEM, but I appreciate this is not likely to be an option where you’re based.

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/products/sciro ... -board-kit

https://dreadnoughtcustoms.co.uk/collec ... shelf-clip

https://dreadnoughtcustoms.co.uk/collec ... e-pin-pair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.