VW GAMMA Stereo Wiring

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
NebToast
fill in the right answer: 15

VW GAMMA Stereo Wiring

Post by NebToast »

I got hold of a Gamma radio to put in my 92 GTII and it all looked fairly plug and play. I wired up a switched live for it and did the wiring to the best of my deciphering of this diagram:

From what I gathered it's permanent live to 7, and switched to 4. The original loom has the illumination and ground wiring correct. There is a blue and white and yellow and white set of wires going into one pin, either the Gala or Mute but I don't know what those do.

The problem is that the radio has power, the illumination works and the security lamp flashes. But when you go to turn it on nothing happens. If the illumination is working then the LCD flashes blue once but still nothing. I've left it for 2 hours which was a suggestion before but to no avail.

Could someone with a Gamma/Beta in their rocco share the wiring for the power plug/shed some light on the diagram?

NebToast

Re: VW GAMMA Stereo Wiring

Post by NebToast »

After putting permanent live to pin 5, "CODE", the stereo has started working! Now to order a Bluetooth adapter.

NebToast

Post by NebToast »

Anyone know where the rear speaker wires run? The black shroud is there on the left but there are no wires visible. Where best to run new speaker wire to the back?

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Do you have speakers and wires in the back of the car?
Might be worth following them from the rear towards the front.

When I fitted a sub in the boot I went along the passengers side sill underneath the carpet so you don't have to remove to much trim or a seat to get it into the rear of the car.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
NebToast

Post by NebToast »

I took the rear seat base up and under the big bit of foam I found the two rear speaker wires. I found the other ends down the back behind the radio after some fishing. All is well and wired up. Radio working well and Bluetooth module on the way

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Let us now how you get on with the bluetooth module...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
NebToast

Post by NebToast »

Bluetooth module was incredibly easy to fit, plugs right into the CD changer then has a ground to the back of the radio. It's on switched live so it won't drain the battery when radio is off. Sound quality is good and connection quick. Very good and reasonably priced alternative to a modern bluetooth radio (£30 for the Gamma and £30 for the module give or take). Whole thing looks very original, I still need to tidy up the wires at the back so the radio will fit all the way into the slot however.