Stereo Wiring and other bits

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
RossWP
fill in the right answer: 15

Stereo Wiring and other bits

Post by RossWP »

Having recently bought my Scirocco from a friend I've discovered the stereo isn't wired in and never was while my friend owned it either. I've looked through some of the threads on here but none of them seem to have the same wiring I have. I've taken the following pictures:

Anyone got any ideas? :?

There are another 2 wires that go up to an LED in the space next to the ashtray, I assume this is something to do with the alarm my friend said is fitted but also doesn't currently work :(

Scirocco Register Member Number 1297
1986 GTS Auto
mr.brown

Re: Stereo Wiring and other bits

Post by mr.brown »

The white connector in the first picture looks like one for the old fashioned Blaupunkt stereos -

red = +12v
Brown = earth
grey/blue = illumination

at a guess I'd say the other 4 are speaker wires - although obviously there should be 8.

If there was an old stereo in there before, the chances are it would have had only two speaker outputs. It may well be that the four wires you see there are connected to the 8 original ones and they are tucked up beneath the dash somewhere.

To fit the stereo shown you'll need a standard ISO harness - you can pick one up from ebay or Halfords -

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/c ... tor-pc3-08

and connect the relevant leads to what you have.

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Nate »

also possible that it used to have an old radio that had a common earth, so the 4 wires are one to each speaker, and the other side of the speaker is just connected to earth.

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
RossWP

Post by RossWP »

Thanks guys. I've just got an ISO harness, will have a look and see how I get on ;)

1986 GTS Auto
RossWP

Post by RossWP »

The plugs from the first picture don't fit the ISO harness, is this just a case of having to remove them an attach new connectors?

I discovered that the speakers in the doors had been disconnected so I assume that is why there are only 4 wires coming to the stereo.

1986 GTS Auto