Installing new head unit help

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
crashbanggg
fill in the right answer: 15

Installing new head unit help

Post by crashbanggg »

I've just bought a new Phillips head unit to replace the standard one on my mk2, having got the old one out and plugged the ISO leads into the new headunit... nothing has happened. So am I right in thinking that I just need to buy one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Po ... 0658635136 and it'll all work fine? Will the harness have a plug for the green wire that is separate to the ISO blocks?

If it isn't already painfully obvious, im not really sure what im doing!

Cheers

Chris

1992 GT2
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Installing new head unit help

Post by Nate »

Its probably just lacking live to both pins that require it. Does your radio have wires coming out the back going to a socket, or is the socket directly on the back of the unit? If there are wires, join the yellow and red together. There should be connectors built in to do this

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

The radio just has plugs directly into the back of it, so I presume I need that harness to then allow me to switch the red + yellow wires over? ... though im still not sure what the green wire is/ does?:

The new radio:

The wires I have to play with:

1992 GT2
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Looking at the brown plug, which are the speaker cables, there seems to be only 6, there should be 8. Therefore the green cable could be for the "missing" speaker or was wired up to a seperate speaker, you may find another cable if you root around?

As Nate says, newer head units need the red and yellow cables fed with a live, as Sciroccos came with a perm live only they will need connecting to that unless you fit in a switched live from say the blower.

Hard to see if that connector you have shown from Ebay, is the right one, you could just go to a local ICE shop and ask for one.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Yes, one of the Autoleads type harnesses will probably come with extra plugs on the red/yellow wires that allow you to plug the switched live into the permanent live.

The only thing you will need to be aware of is that this will drain your battery slightly - fine in a car that's used every day, but will leave you with insufficient (or no) power to start the car if you leave it unused for longer periods.

I would just put some insulating tape around the end of the green cable and ignore it (or trace where it goes and remove it if it does nothing useful).

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a better look when I have a bit of time, fingers crossed!

1992 GT2
Nate

Post by Nate »

A switched live is preferable to giving it 2 permenant lives. And the fusebox is a better place to find your switched live than bodging one from the heater switch

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
crashbanggg

Post by crashbanggg »

*Happy Face* I bought that harness, switched the yellow & red wires round, and we have life! I think the extra green wire must be for the electrical ariel (As that doesn't rise now) so I guess I just need to attach that to an appropriate wire to bring it up when the radio is on (I think I may have to rely on Dad for that one!) happy enough for now though!

Edit: Wired the green wire from the car into the blue wire on harness, and the Ariel works :hugegrin:

1992 GT2
james butler

Post by james butler »

On one of the output wires from the stereo there should be a wire that goes live when it's on, connecting this wire to the green wire should make your Ariel rise. When you turn the stereo off this will kill the power to the green wire which will make the Ariel drop.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!