Quick run down of my door pods.

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Benobatman
fill in the right answer: 10

Quick run down of my door pods.

Post by Benobatman »

Items needed:
- 1x fiberglass resin http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165625
- 1x fiber glass hardener http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165625
- Brushes for applying the mixed resin
- tub for mixing the resin
- strechy speaker cloth, or stretch t-shirts if you have any spares http://www.maplin.co.uk/close-weave-lou ... loth-17725
- glue gun, or adhesive spray
- wooden speaker rings for the size component/speaker being used
-2x door panels
-body filler with hardener also
Estimated time all in all: about 6 hrs.

Im not totally sure if this method works for 16.5 speakers, i used 13.5 and theyre nearly touching the trays under the dash

** sorry for lack of pictures, was too in the moment of doing them :dance: **

-started off by rubbing the door panels down with an alcaholic solution then placed the speaker rings where about i wanted them to be
After i'd found the correct place i put some glue around the rings holding them tightly in place

-After the glue had set, i proceeded to cut a piece of the cloth off and strech it over the panel/ring trying to get rid of as many creases as i could started by gluing in a corner then worked around the cloth untill was fully streched over the panel
Heres one i made earlier :hehe: rinse and repeat the same process with the other door panel

-Mix up the resin [ use the instructions on the packs it tells you how to get the correct mix ] and apply plenty to each of the pods making sure to even cover the back where the cloth is wrapped around

- Wait for the resin to dry completely hard

-cut the hole out in the middle using a stanley knife, or use a hacksaw blade ( watch your fingers! :hi: )

-after cutting the holes rub the resin around the pods rough with sand paper or something else

-mix up some resin and apply throroughly covering any creases in the cloth from before, once done leave to dry again

- at this point i havent no fancy smooth tools so i broke out the old mouse sander to smooth them down after about 2 hrs they were smoothed down to my liking

-applyed some stone paint that i got from b&q

-once this had dried i went over it with some plasticote matte black paint

-final result!

Like i said before, sorry for the lack of pictures and my terrible writing ( never my strong point :crying: )

Hope this helps

Ben :mafia:

Mr Funk

Re: Quick run down of my door pods.

Post by Mr Funk »

Perfect fella,

Mind if I alter one or two bits and we use it as an FAQ?

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Benobatman
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Quick run down of my door pods.

Post by Benobatman »

Yeah no worries! :vcool:
Ill have some more pictures soon of a friends i helped build