ICE install from scratch (Advice?)

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Niall
fill in the right answer: 10

ICE install from scratch (Advice?)

Post by Niall »

Several hundred pound later I have managed to fix the fueling problem with my MK2, so now I've turned my attention to the audio (which is currently my iPhone).
Before I go blasting money around I though it'd be best to ask for some advice. In case I blow money on something that isn't going to work.

I currently have an EDGE 10" Active Bass enclosure (sealed) and a Fusion 300 Watt Amp (sealed) left over from my Del Boy phase.
I'd like to use them, seeing as they are already paid for.

So I assume I will be needing a head unit, and some 6x9s to go along side. For which I have a £100 budget.
Is there soemthing I need to know before I buy something (like certain brands not being compatible etc) or will everything pretty much universally work.

Obviously I am rubbish at anything electric so please be gentle.

fonzooorooo

Re: ICE install from scratch (Advice?)

Post by fonzooorooo »

My personal thoughts:
On a budget, look for a good quality 2nd hand headunit rather than getting a new cheapie. I've got old Alpines in 2 cars, 1 was £25 from the cash converter, the other £30 off ebay. Both are the CDM series, so a £2.50 adapter can be used in the CD changer socket (stops you using a changer unless you made a switching cable) to give a line input for MP3 etc. They have front, rear and sub line outs, so you can amp as much or as little as you like!

Stock speaker size is 4x6". To replace those is easy, but have a look at my "playing with front speakers" post for more detailed ranting... Ultimately, larger (ideally component) speakers in custom pods in the front is the way to go.

Though 6x9"s are a conventional solution, a bit of work getting some 130mm components fitted in the front doors, (I know it's a faff, but of all the audio work, it's time spent here that's the best spent!) along with decent 4x6"s at the rear should work nicely, and play down to the sub well. As you'll gather from my other thread, I had this setup (I reckon the whole system was barely over £100!) in the 'rocco, and it worked nicely. We now have a similar setup with JBL speakers driven straight off the Alpine headunit and an amped Rockford Fosgate 12" in the golf cab. It's VERY nice.

Again, I've just bought some 130mm Alpine components 2nd hand off ebay for £5.50 ... There are deals out there!

Don't forget cable in your budget! And a fuse holder (fuse value can be the same as on your amp) up near the battery on the main power cable.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

About to go to work but very quickly:

Components for the win. Check build threads, more later

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Niall

Post by Niall »

Thank you both for your replys.
I've been shopping around for a while, as I'm in no rush to waste money and I've found something I believe shold work.

This is the link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pyle-Blue-Lab ... 1806wt_932

Using my very limited knowledge in car audio, I think these should work, 2 in the door and two in the back.
4 x 6 is right yes?
Also, I've salvaged a CD player from a friend, so It's really just speakers and wiring kits I think I need now.

Any advice?

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Yes, 6x4's in both front and rear. Never heard of Pyle so had a look on a few forums, some negative comments!
I replaced mine in both cars with Alpines, they cost me £30 a set and sound and fit good.

It's a case of you get what you pay for!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Those alpines are a great piece of kit if you want direct replacement without the faff. No need for a amp unless you hung in a sub

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Pyle WAS a good brand (back in "the day") ... It's now Chinese nasty (same firm as Lanzar)

Look for Alpine, JBL, Infinity... stuff like that... You'll be glad you did!

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

If your really serious about sound then spend some time on the Talk Audio forum, full of installs, tech/theory stuff etc. Some earlier Golfs featured in there somewhere which would relate to the Scirocco..
http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/

The general view is to have 13/17cm components for mids in the doors with tweeters at ear level with a sub for lows in the boot. The components and sub would be ideally separately amped so two different amplifiers. No speakers like 6/9's would be used in the rear at all which are generally frowned upon because they clash with the base frequencies in the rear from the sub.

I have a mid quality Kenwood head unit running straight to 7cm components in door pods that I made with tweeters on the dash. I have the Alpine replacement 6/4's in the rear. In the long term I would like to replace the rear alpines with a proper sub installation in the boot and as said have the two amps. There is a whole debate about what are the best suppliers but you'll get an idea on the talk audio site. I am more of a fabricator, don't have a clue about wiring tbh.

My door pods..
Tweeter..

Ianaudia4's approach with four replacement 6/4's is probably the best way to go without fabrication. His link is a good one for audio gear also check..
http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/home.html
http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/

Fonzooorooo and Mr Funk also know a lot more than me about audio :good:

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

If we're talking components......
Alpines all the way, woofers in the door and tweeters built into the dash.

Niall

Post by Niall »

Thanks for all the help guys.
It really is appreicieated.

Taking into account what you've said and looking at the gear I've already got I still need to get around to buying speakers and tweeters.
I've got the CD player installed and working (albeit only on the drivers side as the others are in a pretty poor state).
I'm in no rush with regards to the sub. I'll probably just order two sets of the Alpine 6x4s I was linked to and take it from there.
Are tweeters essential? The music I listen to is kinda.... bassy :)

Sorry for the sporadic replies, I work alot and don't get much time to get on here.

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

If you're fitting 6x4"s, they're usually 2 ways, so have the tweeters built in. There's no need for separate tweeters with them, though they can be fitted if you want... The result of fitting separate tweeters is that the soundstage will sit higher. (treble pointing at your ears rather than ankles) You would want to disable the tweeters in the 4x6"s if you did this though, to avoid treble-fest!

If fitting separate tweeters, most aftermarket ones have a capacitor in series. This prevents low frequency getting to the tweeter and killing it. They can be wired in parallel with the 4x6"s with no issues. The 4x6"s use the same idea - just a capacitor, not a full-on crossover.

Though you may listen to "bassy" music, it's still likely to have significant treble content - cymbals, snare drums, top end of vocals, synths, guitars... part of the sound from all of those will come through the tweeters.

james butler

Post by james butler »

i have pyle speakers in my rocko and they sound pretty good. i would have to double check with my mate who obtains them but i got mine brand new in the box £10 a pair which is dirt cheap and for the money they are ok, combined with a sub in the boot they are ace. plenty of treble to be had from them but virtually no bass hence the need for a sub.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Benobatman

Post by Benobatman »

I ended up switching to 13.5s in the door and it was the best thing ive ever done,

was my first time glassing but theres plenty of tutorials on the internet