AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Sean
fill in the right answer: 10

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Post by Sean »

I am so frustrated by this now, surely I can't be the only one.
Rocco centre console is now in bits, and i'm still no better off.
I've fitted my sony head unit, all works and runs exactly as it should, but it doesn't fit properly. I can't get it tight up to the cage and click into place. when i can get it tight the cage is slipping forward. There's a plastic barrier where the rubber bung at the back of the radio is supposed to rest, that's what's stopping it, but i don't really want to cut it off.
I've taken the top centre console out to try and sort it from my living room. Still can't get it to sit nice. Now it's dark and i'm fighting a losing battle to put everything back together. There's even part of a loom that I have no idea where it's supposed to go. there's one loom for the heater control, 2 wires for the ashtray illumination, 1 loom for the vdo guage and 2 wires for vdo illumination, there's another loom with blue and brown wires attached, but i can't see where its meant to plug in.

This is such a wind up, i've never had any trouble puting a stereo in before, and I won't get a chance to sort it til friday morning :)

Soul---Money---Blood---Votes
the edmundator

Re: AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Post by the edmundator »

Sean wrote:the rubber bung at the back of the radio is supposed to rest
Unscrew the rubber bung from the back of the radio. A DIN stereo will easily fit in the stereo hole. The only other thing that will prevent it completely fitting in is if the stereo's wiring harness gets in the way - sometimes you need to push it down the back a bit.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Sean

Post by Sean »

I've removed the bung. I've tried fitting the stereo without any wiring at all, still doesn't fit.
Random loom plugs into the back of the heater panel, i left it in the footwell - forgot about that!

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Photos will clearly help, since no-one else has ever had trouble fitting a stereo in a Scirocco. You've achieved something unique. Well done!

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
steamo

Post by steamo »

I know what you mean on my stereo the big heat sink on the back of it it prevents it getting pushed in far enough. Mines only a few mm out though so I live with it. Keep meaning to get round to cutting that bit off though so it fits properly - think its the only way.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, It is literally just a few mm's. I've tweaked the cage a little now and got it clicked in place, I'll just have to live with it. Was in the middle of taking pics to show you edmundator but it think it's as best i'll get it so won't rick fiddling now :)

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

I've got it in my head that Jay had a similar problem once... (probably with JVC) If you've already removed the rubber support from the headunit, the plastic behind serves no function, so there's no mechanical reason not to remove it... (or chop to suit) ... Of course, if you don't want to do that for reasons of originality, that's a different matter...

As it's such a rare problem, it must be specific to some VERY deep headunits... so plan B could be a different headunit. (bearing the depth dimension in mind)

Just a thought.

Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, chopping it isn't really an option. Athough if I do eventually change the head unit I'll probably buy another centre console to chop and fit it in that.
As it stands I have managed to get it to sit as it should. I've secured it with the rubber bung but from the revers side, so it should stay tight, but will be a right pain to remove the head unit in the future.
Just got to put it all back together friday morning then it should be good to go :dance:

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Sean wrote:I'll probably buy another centre console to chop and fit it in that.
I'm not sure where you are, but I've got those bloody things coming out of my ears at the moment - if I can't give them away, they'll be off to the tip soon.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm in swansea mate. I don't think I'm going to be able to get to any of the remaining meets this year, we'll see what happens. Would pay you postage if it isn't too much trouble. Would be handy to have another console to butcher because I'm trying to create a space for a cupholder :)

Redrum

Post by Redrum »

Niether of my cars still have the 'irritating plastic stop' that sits at the back of the stereo bay - I hacked them both out! As said before, they serve no purpose and just get in the way. Removal is the best option here if you want it to fit well :yup:

DougWomble

Post by DougWomble »

THANK YOU! Other people who have experienced the same pain as me! I just didn't want to say it before, because I thought I was the only one, and doing something wrong.

As it goes, I agree with fonzooorooo, and didn't want to hack it off for reasons of originality. I might have to rethink that now...

1989 Bog standard MkII GT - and it makes me very happy!