different speaker locations?

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
lewp91
fill in the right answer: 10

different speaker locations?

Post by lewp91 »

hey guys,

I've got a G60 Corrado dash with all the gubbins in my shed ready for a future conversion,
i know there is space for 2 100mm/4" tweeters in the dash.
there is also a centre grill that i was thinking about mounting a centre staging speaker behind.

from what we can tell, if i were to go with the raddo dash we could have these possible locations for speakers:

1 centre dash.
2 dash 4"s
2 front door card 4"x6"s
2 rear speakers 4"x6"s
and the possibility of a sub if i wanted to fit one.

As far as i'm aware this would offer something similar to the premium speaker setup available in the Corrado vr6.

baring in mind I'm after a OEM+ look, i'm not very keen on visible door pods however is it possible to fit either 5.25" or 6.5" speakers behind the front door cards?
(cutting and fabbing is fine so long as it isn't visible in front of the door card.
is there really that much room in the door skin for a decent sized driver? (i have mechanical windows if it makes a difference)

what are peoples previous experience regards to speaker layout in the scirocco?
unfortunately i see my self becoming a newbie audiofile! :P

Lew

Mr Funk

Re: different speaker locations?

Post by Mr Funk »

ew speakers ar ea bit of a nightmare. best bet is to look in the ICE threads as a few of us are experimenting at the moment. Main problem that I'd see is fabbing up the speaker grills if you kept it OEM. You need to shave away parts of the inner door and the magnet would end up rather close to the door skin.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
lewp91

Post by lewp91 »

ahh i see,

i think its going to be more of a job when i get the car..

(its currently in a mates garage and untouchable till the weekend..)
i really need t get it on the road!

fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Snag with the standard speaker location in the doors is that there's steel behind where the magnet of a speaker sits. (The inner door frame) not just the outer skin... The 2 solutions are to "pack" the speaker further into the car (with door builds) or chop the structure of the door away (near the hinge - up to you, but I wouldn't fancy it!) Even the setup I've got (see my "i've been playing with front speakers" thread) needs the inner frame to be "modified" (I found a lump hammer worked!) to clear the magnet of a 5".

In my b4 passat, the 4" positions in the dash have tweeters in - they're on big base plates, but can be rotated and are angled back into the car. Nice idea. (in that particular case, they're factory tweeters with upgraded door speakers, and they're not matched - need to solder some resistors in with the tweeters.

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

I have 5 1/4" Pioneer comps in my front door pod locations, given the effort i've gone to of fitting them, they don't actually provide a much better 'low range' response than the 6x4s. However, the main benefit is having the tweeters dash mount (they come with a roughly 45 deg camber) so the sound staging sounds MUCH better. May start playing around with some sound deadening inside the doors and see if that helps.

Back on point, my speakers (which had the slimmest driver profile i could find at the place i bought them) still had to be brought out 6mm for the basket to clear the hole in the door card. Its worth mentioning i HAVENT modified my door cards at all. The speaker install simply screws into the position of the previous 6x4s.

If you';re willing to do some serious fabrication it might be possible? But i'd stick with getting some good tweeters, then running the 6x4s as mid-range, and finding somewhere for a smallish sub for bass notes. (if you find a good place.. let me know!!) :)