Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
WreckTangle
fill in the right answer: 15

Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

Post by WreckTangle »

Having dabbled previously with a couple of cheap secondhand units from eBay (a vintage SQR 39 and a VW Beta) to replace the silver Sony CD stereo that was installed, and I use that term loosely, in my Scirocco when I bought it in 2017 I decided to bite the bullet and invest some lockdown savings in a “new” vintage-looking unit from Blaupunkt.

If your car has correctly wired ISO connectors this should be a plug-and play swap, the only potential hitch being it needs a switched live. The generations of bodges on mine took a couple of afternoons to sort out. There are some discrete accoutrements which I didn’t use but which would not look out of place - a small, wired hands-free microphone and a stick-on DAB aerial.

This aerial adapter from Eightwood enables both FM and DAB to use the original wing-mounted aerial. There are a number of such devices available and this was the smallest, tidiest one I could find. It doesn’t need separate power and instead takes its power via the DAB aerial port on the SQR 46 which has to be enabled in the settings menu.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MRIFCDD

All in all I’m quite pleased with the results. IMHO the plastic fascia could have been engineered to be a bit more authentic (thinner and darker) but it doesn’t look out of place and is certainly an improvement both visually and sonically from the Sony.

Now to tinker with the RGB adjustments for the display to get the best match for the dash lights ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB

Post by mark1gls »

That looks good :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

You’re right, it doesn’t look out of place. It brings back a vague memory of my old blaupunkt head unit. I now have a black head unit at the moment so blends in quite well.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
kidcrewbob

Post by kidcrewbob »

400 quid a bit steep - but a nice unit for sure......

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Wrecktangle - I love the blaupunkt bremen and I wish I had that 400 plus the money for speakers to spend but I couldn't justify it. It is though, without a doubt, one of the best looking retro radios I have seen

I went for the Blaupunkt Madrid 200BT - link here >>>>>> http://caraudiosecurity.com/madrid-200- ... eo-usb-aux

And a decent set of JBL speakers for the rear. Not sure what I'll do with the front speakers as mine are not the oval as seen in the rear shelf...

h11poc

Post by h11poc »

Just to add, the Blaupunkt Madrid is only 89 pounds and it looks really good in there. I went for decent JVC in the front and the JBL in the back.
I will add a photo of the stereo shortly. I'm currently working out what to do about an aerial as mine is snapped. I'm open to suggestions of what you think as we've moved on from the telescopic metal ones.