Aplle car play

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Aplle car play

Post by whiteshark »

Has any one here fitted something a bit more modern to their car such as apple car play or something similar?
Just want to know what's possible, what's a good fit and does the alternator need upgraded and what actual antennae is required.
As Chris E is gone from Radio 2, his replacement is not the same and due to my location, I'm not spoilt for choices when it comes to radio stations.

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Aplle car play

Post by mr.brown »

Can you get a decent Digital signal where you are? If so, then getting a head unit with DAB might be a good option. It will need an additional aerial but this is usually internally mounted - on the windscreen for example.

Most head units are around 4x50w these days and I doubt very much you'll need to upgrade the alternator.

No need for carplay or anything fancy - something with Bluetooth will be fine for streaming music from your phone.

I bought this one - https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/mvh-s510bt - as I predominantly listen to music from my phone. So, no need for DAB or a CD player.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I have a decent sony DAB head unit. Just use bluetooth of USB to play off an iPhone. I've had a Carplay head unit in the past, the Pioneer one, which was ok, but not worth the money. You can only use Apple maps which always annoyed me.Plus they're all double din anyhow.

Depends what you're after really. You wont need to upgrade your alternator unless you're running an Amp/ Sub.

To run DAB you will need a DAB aerial (Usually don't come with the head unit) They can be annoying to fit, depending on what style you go for. The ones that stick onto the glass look gross and you have to ground them onto the A pillar usually I believe.

- David
blakey

Post by blakey »

I run a Pioneer DEH-X8700DAB, so have USB, Bluetooth and DAB etc. With replacement speakers in the original locations it sounds well. I have a good DAB antenna but it is mounted in the engine bay, which obviously limits its range, the reason for this that I find the windscreen mount antennas generally look awful and are fragile, and I previously had this set up in a newer VW and did not want to drill in to my Scirocco roof to mount the beesting antenna.
Although it's a modern headunit, it doesn't look out of place in the Scirocco dash.

I recently dabbled with Amazon Music Unlimited and Google Play, but for ease of use and less distraction, I'm sticking with USB & DAB functions.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. In two minds of just installing a new stereo with USB and Dab or going the full hog. Is the Beesting antenna for Dab only or is there another type of aerial required for streaming, or does thatr only happen when linked through your mobile?

scirockirb

Post by scirockirb »

It's not true any more that you can only use apple maps on carplay. Waze is now available which is the best sat nav around for traffic. I have a DAB converter for the original aerial in my Rocco and the signal is great... much better than the screen mounted rubbish ones.

blakey

Post by blakey »

whiteshark wrote:Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. In two minds of just installing a new stereo with USB and Dab or going the full hog. Is the Beesting antenna for Dab only or is there another type of aerial required for streaming, or does thatr only happen when linked through your mobile?
The beesting is only for DAB and FM

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455