a heads up for some helpful dealers

Post your Scirocco related Links and Tuner recommendations here
Forum rules
The most useful content will be added to the FAQ
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

a heads up for some helpful dealers

Post by GTXTRA »

It's easy to complain about the stealerships out there but thought I'd mention some helpful parts desks I have dealt with recently.

Been tracking down a new fuel sender for Project Rouge and discovered (through the Phirm) that the part went obsolete in February 2009.

Sinclair VW of Bridgend were showing as being the last dealer in UK with one, called them today 01656 666 400 only to be told that it was ordered and supplied back in 2002................but hang on Sean I see that another dealer has one................onto Smith Knight Fay of Oldham 0161 652 7131 yes! JR Hartley moment and they'd be happy to send via the dealer network to my local VW parts desk subject to the official request coming from them.

Nearly got a little complicated then (talk of sorting a courier out myself) but for £10 on top of the £30 for the new sender a chap i regularly deal with called Ahmit at SG Smiths (Crown Point) 0208 670 9175 is sorting out delivery of the sender, a new seal (still available) and will call me when it's in.

Result.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GTXTRA

Re: a heads up for some helpful dealers

Post by GTXTRA »

stuffs arrived already this morning - very impressive.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Good stuff.
Most of the parts guys I've spoken to have been pretty helpful from getting the mk2 Golf brake servo reservoir ages ago, to getting the passat sport centre caps for my Classics :cool:

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
duggers

Post by duggers »

Had brilliant service from Ian in the parts department at Wayside, Towcester (just off the A43), Northants.
He always looks stuff up and sources obscure bits like my Air Con relay and power steering rack boots.
He drives a Corrado so is nearly completely cool!

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Went to buy some new steel wheels from Birmingham VW today; chap on the desk went to the effort of using two computer systems to see if any were available and found 5 in stock. Without me asking, he gave me a 10% discount on a set of 4. Restoring a little faith after the terrible experiences I've had with VW dealers recently.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
big nick

Post by big nick »

Honestly, 9 out of 10 times I've been to a Main Dealer I've had a bad experience with rude/dis-interested/too busy type staff, at VW, BMW, Audi, Ford, they never seem to want to help or even talk to you unless you're spending £20k plus on a new motor...that said, Ian at SmithKnightFay Stockport, the guy who works on the parts desk is a n absolute diamond! he's always happy to show me the screens on ETKA and ETOS so I can point out to him exactly what I need, always does me a discount and is generally a sound bloke. Also Lee who works there, drives a lovely Mk4 Golf and knows his onions...

As a general rule though oyu always get the best service and feel like part of the 'family' at a local independent VW garage, people talk about The Phirm being very good, its a bit far from Manchester but the General Motor Co. in Hazel Grove are awesme! there's always a Beetle or a Camper or an early GTI in there being fixed or fettled, and it's the only place I'd trust to work on any of my VWs. Lots cheaper than a main dealer too! (and no, I aint on commission lol!!)...

do I really want a carb'd valver? answers on a postcard...
eamon1.3

Post by eamon1.3 »

You guys are lucky, agnews over here are completly useless, used to be a good guy in one of their places who would have done anything for you but now that he has left they will never see a penny from me again