Rebuilding JUCY

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
G Beats
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rebuilding JUiCY

Post by G Beats »

Looks real good Tim i see what you mean from the paint etc you have had done to her and the engine and work shop was real good meeting you the other week, i hope you can get your insurance down be good to see you at the national meet.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

It's been a couple of weeks since I updated this now, a fair bit of progress has been made but not quite there yet, certainly won't be ready for the national :(

All the body panels have been painted and are back. Bonnet fitted and built up, rear body kit is on and bumper attached. I'm in the workshop building up the tailgate atm so will add photos later.

Bodykit being attached, more low tack masking tape being used to hold the kit in place while the tiger seal sets.

Almost looks finished. Lights and plate aren't fixed in place there.

Tailgate and bumper fitted.

Both my cars together.

What a faf getting the bonnet aligned and both latches to work properly is. I spent a lot of time making sure the bonnet was sitting straight and level when latched and popped up when the release cable is pulled.

(edit to add photos)
Last edited by Tim_R on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

geebeats wrote:Looks real good Tim i see what you mean from the paint etc you have had done to her and the engine and work shop was real good meeting you the other week, i hope you can get your insurance down be good to see you at the national meet.

Cheers fella, hope the glovebox lid is ok. Sadly won't be making the national, Silverstone Classic cost me enough.... Good though.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Ok sure i understand well iam sure we will meet up again some time in the future i was and some said off here about haven a bristol meet whats you thoughts on that Tim ? Glove box lid still to fit hopefully at our mechanics i will do this next week. :buddy:

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Made some more major progress over the past few days and was thinking of all the roccos meeing up and Cosford while I was putting this together.

Front arches screwed and bonded into place with more Tiger Seal and low tack masking tape to hold everything in place while it sets.

The front wings have been bonded into place and aligned before fitting the arches, as that had all set, seam sealer applied on all the joints and will be shultzed when the sealer has dried.

Front valence in place, it's amazing how fitting the bodykit makes the car look so much closer to being finished.

When the bumper skin was painted, it was separate to the metalwork behind it as I needed to straighten it out, anyway straightened and reassembled although it's still a bit low on the passenger side. A hot air gun was invaluable to soften the plastic clips to help put it back together, a few too many snapped while taking it apart cold :blush:

Strips fitted along the bottom of the doors and held in place with yet more low tack tape. Best fitted with the doors open as wide a possible to get the alignment right.

Got a few other things done which I didn't take photos of. The wiring loom for the number plate lights and rear wiper pulled through using welding wire fed from the hole in the top left and coming out the tailgate latch hole in the back of the frame. Number plate lights fitted and working.

Extended the wiring for the Corrado metering head as I've moved it further forward in the engine bay, 16v manifolds make good soldering iron stand holders as well as a flat surface for putting tea!

Fitted a new white oil pressure switch and recrimped the wire, the old one started leaking oil badly and the wire snapped off as I unplugged it. Glad I hadn't spent a lot of time cleaning up the engine now! :hehe:

Things left to do:

Fit the rear window, wiper motor and spoiler. Didn't manage to get this done because the rope used to wrap around the rubber seal and pull it into the hole has gone missing.
Modify the holes the bodyshop cut in the bonnet for the later heated washer jets, currently they aren't quite big enough and sort out the wiring to the heated jets so it's in the right place, it doesn't look right at the moment.
Fit the roof strips after the bodyshop have some more issues with paint and polished the car up.
Fit the fuel filter properly and route fuel lines neatly.
Have a new air box made for the metering head so it fits nicely and isn't held in place with zip ties this time :hehe:

Hopefully once that is done and after a full nut and bolt check I can book it in for an MOT and cross my fingers that emissions and brakes are ok.

Whether I get it on the road this month will depend on how much more I can get my Insurance premium down, it's still the high side of £600 currently. Add to that the cost of the MOT and a VIC, because of it's Category C status, then road tax and it'll be an expensive month.
Last edited by Tim_R on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tim_R wrote:Fit the rear window, wiper motor and spoiler. Didn't manage to get this done because the rope used to wrap around the rubber seal and pull it into the hole has gone missing.
think i've got one in the shed if you want to borrow it. fancy a pint at the new inn tomorrow night?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Good news - Tailgate glass is in and the tailgate built up. Now its just the washer jets and some cabling to tidy, a little bit of paint and it can get booked for an mot.

Bad news - Head gasket has just given up on my 205 :crying:

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tim_R wrote:Bad news - Head gasket has just given up on my 205 :crying:
tried chucking some K-seal in it?

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Nate wrote:
Tim_R wrote:Bad news - Head gasket has just given up on my 205 :crying:
tried chucking some K-seal in it?
I think it's a bit beyond K-seal now! It has a sump full of mayo!

Insurance is sorted thanks to Lancaster, £317 fully comp with an agreed value, a lot better than the next best quote of £460 from HIC. The MOT is booked for 10 am tomorrow morning, what can possibly go wrong? Other than the fact I'm in Bristol, the rocco is in Monmouth and I have no transport other than a push bike :hehe:

Anyone want to place bets on public transport?

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Got the car safely to it's MOT with no issues whatsoever except for the engine needing a good tuneup.

anyway it failed on 1 tyre being too low on tread and fuel pump not secure because a rubber cotton reel mount having split along with the metal supply line to the pump chafing the brake flexi. Not bad I thought considering how much of the car has been apart and put back together.

Got advisories for the other 3 tyres and a binding brake caliper, annoyingly its the brand new one that has seized slightly.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Nate

Post by Nate »

fail on tyres? that's bad! you'd never catch one of my vehicles failing the mot on tyres! :whistle:

think i've got some of those rubber mounts in my box at work - rubber about 15mmish diametre and 2 m4? studs sticking out

i'll get them over to you at the weekend if you want them

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Thanks for the offer Nate, I've got it sorted and collected a green pass sheet after a retest this morning. The VIC is booked for next Thursday morning.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
lewp91

Post by lewp91 »

good to hear the build has gone well after such an unfortunate front ender!
now are you finally off to the dyno? :nerner:

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

lewp91 wrote:good to hear the build has gone well after such an unfortunate front ender!
now are you finally off to the dyno? :nerner:
Well it would be nice, I won't be able to afford it just yet though.

I can't wait to drive it again already, it felt so smooth and comfortable. :hugegrin:

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

hey Tim, excellent news - nearly there.

Serial Rocco-ist.........