Rebuilding JUCY

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Tim_R
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rebuilding JUiCY

Post by Tim_R »

Woohoo it runs and is drivable around the warehouse! :beers:

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
daveyg

Post by daveyg »

Fantastic news, good on you :hi:

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Ok, been a while since I updated this, but there has been some progress in that time, not all of it visible.

The ABF distributer has been stripped and rebuilt with a new hall sender and oil seals and fitted to the engine, hopefully this will have fixed an annoying very intermittent misfire I had ever since I upgraded to 16v power. Plus it's a neater solution keeping leads away from the m/c and brake lines.

The rear brakes have been overhauled with new slave cylinders, shoes, cables and spring kit. Mostly because after filling up the system I found the offside rear cylinder leaking badly under pressure. It must have been leaking for some while before that though.

A refurbished nearside front caliper after stripping the thread off the caliper doing the bleed nipple up. :ire:

Drivers side electric window mech dismantled, cleaned and re-greased because it had stopped working. The original grease in the winding gear had gone solid and the grease on the cables had become sticky. The window works better than it ever has now! :yup:

Wings and lights trial fitted as they may need adjustment when the bonnet goes on.

As of last Wednesday the car has gone back in the paint shop to have some bits sorted that I'm not happy with around the rear windows and windscreen. Hopefully it should be out again by this weekend along with bonnet, tailgate, bodykit and mirrors so I can crack on.

The headlining has been made by my friend Claire although we're currently waiting on some black vinyl for the A and B pillars inside. Crossing fingers that it arrives soon so the headlining and glass can go in.

I still need to get my Borbets refurbished and decide on some tyres for them. They need to have good grip in the damp and wet as well as the dry this time :hehe:
Last edited by Tim_R on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Rocco came out the paint shop again Saturday morning and as the paint was still soft around the window apertures we couldn't do anything with the head lining, so went off to do some DIY on a friend's house. Sunday rolled around and headed down to the workshop again to trial fit the head lining with crossed fingers.

Claire doing some extra stitching.

Excess vinyl being trimmed off by Ant, seeing as he's done this on Claire's own rocco it was quicker and safer to let him get on with it.

Spray mount, lots and lots of lolly sticks and bulldog clips are needed for this stage.

Not sure the seat cover style will catch on :hehe:
Last edited by Tim_R on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Cpt Custom
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Cpt Custom »

Coming on great ... can't wait to see this one finished! :vcool:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Cpt Custom wrote:Coming on great ... can't wait to see this one finished! :vcool:
Neither can I! Really must book some time off work so I can get on with this when all the body panels are back. The bodykit is in primer and will hopefully be painted by the end of the week.

With the head lining done, the glass can go in, I've ordered a brand new windscreen seal from VW Heritage, not a cheap option at £114 quid but after the experience of trying to clean up my old one and the leaks when I replaced the screen previously I hope it's money well spent.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Nate

Post by Nate »

how did you get claire to come out on film?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Nate wrote:how did you get claire to come out on film?
I caught her by surprise while she was busy!

Not really a lot to report this weekend, mostly marking time while waiting for my brand new screen seal and the body kit and remaining panels that still haven't been painted!

Claire has finished the head lining and trimming the A and B pillars, it looks really good too!

I got the 2 remaining dead tyres knocked off my Borbets so they can go to be refurbished this week hopefully.

I also discovered the 205 daily has thrown it's toys out the pram and the rear suspension bearings have collapsed on one side after water getting past a seal, so a large parts bill looming there. I'd just been nice to it too and fitted 4 new Continental boots to keep it legal.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

That headlining looks brilliant

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tim_R wrote:I also discovered the 205 daily has thrown it's toys out the pram and the rear suspension bearings have collapsed on one side after water getting past a seal, so a large parts bill looming there. I'd just been nice to it too and fitted 4 new Continental boots to keep it legal.
meh, my zx was like that for the whole year i had it. so long as the wheels ain't rubbing the arches yet, then it's all good :ok:

haynes of challow did have a few 205s in last time i was up there

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Got some stuff done on the rocco this weekend inbetween beers and bbq :hehe:

My new windscreen seal turned up last week so we could get on and fit the screen and while the string was out got the side windows done. The only one left is the tailgate which is *still* at the paint shop in primer.

Glazed at last!

The rest of it was all small fiddly stuff that takes time and doesn't like I've really achieved much. Was a bit nervous about taking a Stanley knife to the new head lining to cut holes for the seat belt mountings after all Claire's work, but it all turned out OK.

While at the workshop on Sunday we had a visit from the Police who seen my 205 parked outside and the roller shutter partly open and came to investigate in case I was a pikey trying to steal scrap metal or copper. :hehe: Full marks to the guy for checking it out as there have been problems around there in the past. He also commented he'd have loved a rocco years ago but he got a family and people carriers became the order of the day instead.
Last edited by Tim_R on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Ok, collected the bodykit and door mirrors from the paint shop today. Let there be more progress tomorrow! :hugegrin:

Much shinyness

Old front skirt vs new. Which is really tornado red?

Last edited by Tim_R on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Well Sunday's plan had been to get both doors finished as the mirrors were back. Nipped down to the garden center to pick up some plastic sheeting to make new door membranes and found this in the car park :vcool:

The passenger door all built up and in need of a clean.

The driver's side was going fine until checking the adjuster for the mirror and the glass fell out. It didn't exactly bounce well and after some careful experimentation with a spare I thought it safer to just get the spare sprayed. Although I guess i could fit the pair of unpainted mirrors I have about.
I've already had to replace both mirrors once during the rebuild after a thieving git helped himself to the glass to replace the door mirror on his kangoo van!

Anyway, after lots of tea drinking, waxoiling and fitting the rest of the body kit clips and some die grinder action to remove the old sealant from the body kit I had a quick trial fit.

(I know the car needs lowering I just can't afford to do it how I want)

All I need now is some fresh sealant and some low tack masking tape and a really good tea supply!
Last edited by Tim_R on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by markh »

Looking amazing Tim. Will you have it ready for the National Meet ?? :hugegrin:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

It has been at the back of my mind to get it done for that, but I don't think i can afford to get it on the road this month sadly. Not unless i can seriously get my insurance quotes down more.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB