My project gets underway...'Mono' the GT2

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Dutch GT

Re: My project gets underway...'Mono' the GT2

Post by Dutch GT »

Luxurious! Wow, you don't hear that about the mk2 'rocco, not this decade anyway! It's a step back in time for most people, but a mk1 golf and mk2 rocco... That's the way to roll!
Keep up the good work.

rocco1982
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by rocco1982 »

Ha ha! Maybe luxurious was the wrong word, most of it's identical to the Mk1 Golf, but it's still a step up. I noticed the other day it's got heated windscreen washer jets...now we're talkin'! :groove:

Ex-owner of a 1990 1.8 GTII
1982 Mk1 Golf (daily driver)
Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

Hey everyone, sorry to drag up an old post but im now the owner of Mono! Its coming on lovely, with a new respray, jetex exhaust, new fuel tank and more new goodies in the pipeline! :)

Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Excellent work! Glad to see it's survived its transition through goth-mobile to black&white, back to its stylish self. Keep it up! :beers:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

Thanks! I love the little thing to bits! I'm gonna sorn it at the end of the month so I can work on it during winter :) Should end up with a lovely Rocco eventually! :)

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

Glad you found the site mate. Look forward to seeing you at a few northern meets in the future.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Cpt Custom

Post by Cpt Custom »

Great to see this one being treated so well ... I'm sure Helen would be delighted!

I'm assuming from Ian's last comment you're also up North somewhere? I'm in Harrogate myself.

:beers:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily
Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

Well actually it lives with me in Nuneaton, but i'd still drive it to a Northern meet. I enjoy driving it so wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I fetched it from a nice chappy in the Leeds area. I'm glad i bought it, the paint scheme really put me off when I saw it advertised but I got it for a good price so was very happy. It's got a good future ahead of it now and i think with the money i've had to spend on it, it was probably destined for the scrapheap if purchased by an 'average Joe'. Cant wait to do some meets/shows next year and meet up with some fellow Roccy owners. These cars seem to becoming rarer by the day :)

rocco1982

Post by rocco1982 »

Hi Scirobbo! I've been wondering who bought 'Mono' for a while now. I'm really pleased to see the car's been treated to some cosmetic attention! It looks fantastic! I was soooo close to getting it put back to white myself, but it would have been a lower half respray due to lack of funds! That's also the only reason I had to sell it...I already had a car I could use for work and there came a point where I had to cut back somewhere. :crying:
I really enjoyed driving it, in spite of it's embarassing paintwork (none of the 'molestation' was down to me I must say!) I'm really glad it went to somebody who was willing to spend a bit of time and money to bring it back to it's original state. I hope you have many happy miles in it! I look forward to seeing any more progress you've got planned. But it looks brilliant as it is! :ok:

Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

Thanks Helen, I'm pleased you got to see the pictures of it and that you like it! I was very impressed with how it drove when i came back from Leeds despite the fact it looked rather tired on the outside. It was a freezing cold day and I remember how good the heating worked! I've spent hundreds on it now but don't plan to stop anytime soon. My next jobs are getting a new rooflining sorted, the driver's seat re-covering/foaming and the engine bay refurbing. I've also got my eye on a nice set of fat shiny BBS alloys for the old girl. Sounds awesome with Jetex exhaust system too, without being too loud that is :chill:

Rob :hugegrin:

rocco1982

Post by rocco1982 »

Ha ha! It's definitely impressive to drive for a carb engine. I had the chance to drive a Mk2 Scirocco Storm 1.8 injection (thanks Ian ;) ) and Mono felt just as powerful, believe it or not. I liked cruising around at low revs too, it seemed to be pretty good on fuel (and that's coming from a diesel driver).
I bet the car can't believe its luck with you giving it so much treatment! I agree, it definitely needed a new headlining - the other owners had some spider web netting stitched onto it and totally wrecked it! :ire: Anyway, it's all gonna be history now. Well done!

Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

Yeh I noticed that! It was beyond repair really, It's not very often you see a rooflining held up with safety pins! Gotta take the windows out to fix the new one back in properly, but i'm not scared :)

Yeh the car does pull well, I used to have a 1985 GTS with the original carb but it wasnt a patch on Mono. It holds back a little bit sometimes, but hopefully it's just something simple :)

Scirobbo

Post by Scirobbo »

Just an update on Mono really, thought i'd upload some fresh pics with its BBS alloys on. Still havent got round to sorting my headlining yet but have got it in pieces in the garage as i've started work cleaning the engine bay back up. Bring on the summer..Hope to get to some shows :)

Cpt Custom

Post by Cpt Custom »

Very nice indeed ... hard to believe its the same car. :good:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily