MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
polov8

Re: MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Post by polov8 »

Jimmy, you missunderstand, I used to work for a place that built custom hand control systems for disabled owners, it's just most of them we'd on boring things like astras and fiestas and the like, occasionally we'd do an M3 or an old classic like a stag, but a lambo, respect is due!
Last edited by polov8 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by jimmy h »

Andy,
Sorry for late reply....oh I know now :oops: I realised the day after posting, remembering your experience you will have spotted this conversion as being fairly unique!! :shock:

Also,truth be told, I've been waiting to update and I'm going to need your help Andy on this one.

Dashboard.

Picked it up tonight from the man.

Long story but the one I bought off you, yes, I forgot to take a photo before it was repaired :dash: why do I keep doing this :dash: Looking forward and not back must have a lot to do with it!

I'll put up some pics of my old dash and my refurbed dash tomorrow to gauge opinion.

polov8

Post by polov8 »

Turn out ok?

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Andy Sir, here you go......

Got to love the Magic Marker 'Blau Met' I'd never seen it before I pulled out the Dash, back in 1980 ish a bloke on the production line must have done it before it went in the booth at Karman.

Wired in the Fuel Pump Relay relocation 'Loom' today and it worked a treat - many thanks Chopperoli :hi:
Old Dashboard below....
Refurbed dash care of Andy....

polov8

Post by polov8 »

Wow, that came out nice, what exactly did they do restore it?

Might want to get hold of a dash mat to protect that sucker from sunlight!

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

polov8 wrote:Wow, that came out nice, what exactly did they do restore it?

Might want to get hold of a dash mat to protect that sucker from sunlight!
Dunno what they used, the first attempt failed and reacted badly. In all honesty I was just desperate for them to finish the job, they'd had it over a month and I'm a very impatient man!

It's not 100% perfect, the finish of the repair is mottled rather than the vinyl texture, but I'm happy with it and I reckon a blind man on a galloping horse won't spot the repair.

Hindsight is a marvelous thing; the petrol I wasted going to Carlisle to see the dashboard that was for sale but only with a 3k car :diablo:
Plus costs coming to you and the final rapair of the dash, it might have been more cost effective to send my old dash off to the states :shocking: :dash:

81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

looks bloody good in the pics bud, you know im all over it when i see you next,lol

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Took another afternoon off to progress things. If you are wondering; I've not had a real Holiday in 2 years and all my leave from work has been on this, but I am lucky that I have a job that rewards with very good leave entitlement.

On November the 8th it will be exactly one year since my car went away to the body shop, I'm not sure if I feel I should be further on? but I know I would have got a lot more done if we had not such a lousy summer again.

So the Dash went in today and I'm happy with the way it looks, It's funny, I have a spare room which has been dedicated to 'Parts Storage' for this project. Twelve months ago you could hardly get in there - now it's empty....

I must admit, I grin a bit more now when I go in the garage and see it in the morning, I know that probably sounds a bit sad but try and understand when I went to view the car last December at the Body Shop and saw the following view. I remember thinking: 'Christ Jim, what the hell are thinking of, this is getting way out of hand'.
Little did I know! :shocking:

79 Scirocco

Post by 79 Scirocco »

She is looking good now, Nice job on the dash. :yup:

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Damn the law of sod.
I've underpinned this whole project hoping my beloved Corrado would hold out. :beg:
I've owned it 13 years and done ~70 odd thousand miles in it, it's been touch-and-go the last few MOT's but what a car!
In all them years; one major let-down (faulty distributer) after that just tyre's,tax, insurance,brakes,oil,filters,batteries, etc..

Someone pulled out across me at a junction last Sunday, split second to react, not enough....
I've resigned myself to the knowledge it's scrap, so I've moved on and bought a replacement.

It will be here Monday, photo's to follow. :cards:

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

I have always maintained my bold statement: "When the Corrado finally does die, time for something more practicle"

So the Corrado is dead, long live the Corrado.... 62K, 2 owners, Garaged all its life - I simply can't stop grinning :hugegrin:

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Good find!

And if you didn't need practical before, why should you need it now? :vcool:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

the edmundator wrote:Good find!

And if you didn't need practical before, why should you need it now? :vcool:
Ed, words of wisdom, words of WISDOM! :hehe:

Crickey I am truly skint now, the familly Silver has been chopped for this, but, Why not? I get a huge amount of enjoyment out of this sort of thing - no regrets....

polov8

Post by polov8 »

Wow that's clean! Good find sir!

What's not practical about a Corrado? It has seats, a boot, a roof, a handle that raises at the back for pushing......

81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

looks like some kind of blessing from here bud, shame about the corrado but what a corrado! make sure you hold out for the best price from the insurers, you should show them the receipt for the replacement and ask for it to be covered. glad you're ok.