1979 Scirocco GLS 1272cc

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Winston
fill in the right answer: 10

1979 Scirocco GLS 1272cc

Post by Winston »

Hello Folks and welcome to my progress thread. I have been around mainly in the for sale forums for the past 6 months and thought it was time i got more envolved with the forum.

I come from a background in Renault 5 GT Turbos and Clio Williams but having spent the last 8 years in the Renault scene it all got abit boring. All my mates are Volkswagen lovers so it was only time before i gave in and got a one. I broke my current Renault 5 for spares and went on the hunt for a nice Mk1 Scirocco project.

I was straight on ebay but I was a fool and bought the first Mk1 Scirocco I could lay my hands on. It was a Red 1979 GLi, it was in need of quite abit of resto work to get it up to full scratch and also needed quite a few more parts to complete it. I then bought another Blue 1978 GLS to donor the 1979 GLi but having picked up the 78 GLS it was just to good to break. I was stuck with 2x Sciroccos that both needed resto work. I was torn because I only really needed one Mk1 in my life and didn't have the heart to break either one.

I was browsing the classified and stumbled across Oli's 79 Scirocco GLS for sale and fell in love. I worked out if i sold both my sciroccos projects and the parts I could afford to buy Oli's which was a much more soild base to work from and only needed minor niggles to finish it off. Lucky for me a forum member bought both cars and most my parts.

Oli's Classified ad - http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carf ... f=3&t=3627

So here is the car as it stands now! Ive just got to fit the Mk1 Golf dash or the full GLi interior loom and original Black dash. With a bit of tidy up a it will be ready for the road. I am hoping to make the end of show season in it. I will update this thread as it progresses.

Thanks for reading! Big shout Oli and all the other people that have helped me out so far on the forum.

Cheers
Winston
Last edited by Winston on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.

Risocco

Re: 1979 Scirocco GLS

Post by Risocco »

Sweet! Good luck mate, hopefully have it ready for our Cosford Meet :good:

Love Renault 5s myself :beers:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

a cracking car - good to see it in good hands -

a few shots i have taken in previous years -

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Winston

Post by Winston »

Cheers comments and pictures. :vcool:

TBH im not sure when it will be finished im lame with deadlines...... but im hoping haha

Rather than use my money to get the car on the road I couldn't help but buy some goodies for it. (due to be fitted after the MOT)

Last edited by Winston on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Winston

Post by Winston »

These Mad'in split rims are my pride and joy. I thought it was time to make them something special by giving them a split & polish up. Dare i say i love these wheels more than any car.

The wheels looked like this when i bought them.

I refurbed them in matt black for my 5 GT Turbo which kept them rather stealth and understated.

I have tryed to polish them in the past but I gave up due to an thick motorsport coating on the wheels (It was the factory colour under the yellow paint).. This picture shows the result of 2 hours in my blast cab! See why i gave up? haha

The time has come to have another go at polishing. I split the wheels & sent them to the local blasters but he said it would be to much work due to the thick coating on the dishes. So I just left the centres to be blasted.

My friend used these discs to remove paint on his Mk1. They strip like a b**ch and leave minimal damage to the metal. Highly recomended tbh.

1 hour a piece later and the dishes look like this.

I used 80 grit wet & dry to remove the deeper scratches the sanding disc had left.

I worked down the grades 80 - 120 - 240 - 360 - 400 grit wet and dry.

This picture shows the 3 different stages.

I sanded them down again 400 - 600 - 800 - 1000grit and added a few layers of autosol metal polish.

At this point i worked out i had not removed enuff of the deep scratches left by the disc so I had to take them back all the way back to 120grit and worked up the grades back to 1200 grit then added 5 layers of Autosol. They now look like this.

I have got over 40 hours in the dishes alone. Im still waiting on getting the centres back from the blasters but they will need much less work to get them shiney. Hopefully leaving me just the bolts to polish.

I can't wait to get them built back up and on the Rocco!
Last edited by Winston on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

Ive got over 40 hours in the dishes alone...
That explains why I'm still not happy with my polished Pirelli's. I started to give up after sanding my fingernails down til they bled.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Winston wrote:Ive got over 40 hours in the dishes alone...
MicroMesh, hehe, going up to 12,000 grit. Just hoping to add another 20 hours to that 40 :yup:

Seriously though, the stuff is AWESOME if you're going for a "proper" mirror finish, the grades go WAY off the scale, so much so that I've polished an alloy roccker cover (for an MG) and you could see the grain of the alloy with a microscope (yes, we were that sad we checked it, lol). I have ALWAYS got a ready supply in my abrasives drawer for working on car parts in particular!

Winston

Post by Winston »

I will deffo be trying some of that... cheers dude :vcool:

Winston

Post by Winston »

I got my wheels finished in time for Edition 38 but Sadly due to 3 weeks in hospital, then getting problems with my k-jet (after selling my twin 40's, sods law lol) and no time for chassis work to get it sat right it never made it.

It would be just rude not to trail run and see if it matched the picture i had in my head of the car slammed with the Mad'ins. The suspension does need some fine tuning but the exhaust manifold was the limiting factor today. With the new small block engine I plan to fit over the winter and some minor chassis work it will be all gravy.

Can anyone spot whats missing?

Last edited by Winston on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Paint on the sump? :hehe:

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Duuuuuuuuude, awesome, just awesome :chill:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
XAJAYX

Post by XAJAYX »

it bugs me that we have the same colour car and interior..;)
wheels look rad tho.id go for a little more sterch on the rubber.

Winston

Post by Winston »

I agree Ajay! It does suck having the same car. haha

Its got 175/50/13's on now. so even less profile = even lower ground clearance. Which is something I do not have.

Its got no driveshafts in but the sump comment made me laugh. :hehe:

Cheers for the comments guys!
Last edited by Winston on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Calvert

Post by Calvert »

Me like very much!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Sorry to hear about the pre-edition dramas - really looking forward to seeing this car back at the shows next year.

Serial Rocco-ist.........