The Rieger has come home!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Rare as they come - My Rieger GTO Scirocco

Post by markh »

Loving that dash conversion, it looks cool.

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
Mikeyb
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Mikeyb »

I really like that colour! Very different. :vcool:

GTX Baby!
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

You already know I love this thing! If you EVER decide to sell, shotgun first dibs right here!

2k Painter and Powdercoater
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Thanks for the kind comments Gents.
Boumsong wrote:You already know I love this thing! If you EVER decide to sell, shotgun first dibs right here!
Hahaha... Never mate - i'm keeping her forever now!! I thankfully have paid off all of my loan so its all mine now. Do you want to buy my Mini Race Car - i'm trying to sell that at the moment, the Rocco is definately pushing all my automotive buttons now..

Hence, i've been spending more pennies... Friday I got myself 2x new wishbones, front new bushes and ball joints. it was £60 for the lot didnt think was too bad. I'd have thought that you'd get the bushes fitted in the wishbones but they are seperate. Does anybody know a good way to fit them without damaging the bushes? I also got a big tub of underseal, a tin or 3 of hammerite and some grinder attachments from halfords which take paint and underseal off without damaging the metal...
After work on friday I took the servo off and braking linkage/mechanism apart and gave that a good clean up - GUNK engine Degreasent is required as its caked in Grease. I'm goin to paint it up while its in bits. Make sure if you ever take it apart you make a note of how it comes off, the 90degree elbows are slightly different which I didnt know about. I'll put a pic up to show the difference later. Even though there are nuts and bolts to undo the associated bracketry I couldnt get it off as it seems to have been welded on? Its not really a problem I can clean it in situe it just puzzled me abit why it looks like its removeable but isnt?!

Getting my new engine this evening - i'm very excited! I was talking to the guy who i'm buying it off in the pub on friday night. Its a 2.0 16v 9a engine thats done about 80,000 miles, he bought the engine about 18months ago, and fitted it with KR cams, a 4-1 exhaust manifold, and a Pipercross foam filter to give it abit more ooomph. Its still running the Jetronic Injection system but so is hopefully going to be pretty easy to wire back in. He thinks its about 170bhp, and says it pulls so well, it will hit the limiter in 5th!! so yeah, it seems like its quite a good buy, plus I know the owner, history and trust him. Its not going to be quite as fast as the 20vT lump, but i am really enjoying the way the 16v engine delivers its power... I think with the Single box exhaust system thats fitted, it'll sound much better too.

Because i'm going to be running a 8v gearbox I need to get a different clutch plate but they arent too expensive, so going to get a new one of them this week too before I run out money again. The one i've got has been in for 50k anyway and is probably due a change. You can use the 16v pressure plate and flywheel, the rest of it should be fine to use. I'll get some pics posted up as soon as its out.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Got the engine tonight but by the time i got back home it was too to dark for photos so i'll get some tomorrow when i get it out of the van.

Here is the brake components i cleaned up the other day. Think i'm going to paint it the bits silver. Hopefully it'll make them look alot cleaner.

you notice the difference between the two elbows. The one on the left is the drivers side. You can tell by the slight chamfer on the edge, and because its not as big a step.

Yhey clean up pretty well dont they :yup:

G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Nice car very rare did you find out how many are in the country ? looks like a Carrado at the front but love the kit ie side skirts , and wheel arches, never seen one in the flash i know heather who runs rocco world has a rare green mk rocco a bit like this here---

http://sciroccoworld.lefora.com/2009/07 ... -25-07-09/

11 and 12 pics down only a bit looks like your ie the kit but i know it is a rare model

check ny project leave me a comment please it will be more then appractied.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

hi all, i've been abit busy recently with the house n selling the mini.. yep, its gone now. bit of a shame but i dont have time for it at this stage in my life so gonna put all my efforts into making this scirocco shine again.

here are a few pics of my new engine :yup:

and my new manifold, its from a mk2 golf but i think it should fit?

i have been looking at some nice car sites today and got a few ideas for the engine, i hope they'll look good. i'm more than likely going to take the bits to be powder coated prob silver and then do some detailing on them. its alot easier than sanding it all yourself, plus it will end up looking better in the end too if i'm doing it..

more to come... :hugegrin:

Cookie-101

Post by Cookie-101 »

Lookin good...

Although I thought that the mk2 golf manifolds didnt fit the mk2 Scirocco. Dont you need one thats designed to fit a mk1 golf?

Cookie-101
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Cookie-101 wrote:Lookin good...
Although I thought that the mk2 golf manifolds didnt fit the mk2 Scirocco. Dont you need one thats designed to fit a mk1 golf?
Yeah I heard that too Cookie, not sure tbh but now you mention it, the ones on ebay look quite different next to each other. The mk1 16v manifold has alot more of a vertical drop which i presume to clear the steering rack and bulkhead, where as the mk2 one goes above the steering rack and subframe doesnt it!?

I'll get myself a proper one and put this one on my golf....

Cookie-101

Post by Cookie-101 »

Before u get one off ebay, im talking with the guys over at dub power about their mk1 golf 16v conversion manifolds:

http://www.dubpower.co.uk/

It is designed to clear the vertical steering boot.

However they have never fitted one to a mk2 scirocco before so are unsure if it will fit. But im sure it will has they are the same A1 platform. They did say however if it doesn't fit i can get a refund, which is nice of them.

I got one off ebay (hot tunning) and it clashes with the steering boot and the joint.

Cookie-101
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Yeah i read that in your build thread i think that the 1 you got clashed with the boot? was it miles out of line? A friend of mine has a new hot-tuning manifold he is looking to sell on cheaply (its a 2 peice item) so was just going to have a go at fitting that one even if i have to modify it ever so slightly to fit.

Those DubPower manifolds look good, but the price is a bit steep - Nearly the same cost as the engine itself!! lol

Cookie-101

Post by Cookie-101 »

With the exhasut bolted on to the engine it clashed with the joint and the boot. I turned the steering wheel with it attached and it just put a hole in the boot where they were rubbing together. It might well fit if the rear engine mount was able to push the whole engine forwards a bit.

Cookie-101
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

i have a dubpower downpipe on my black car - they do fit but it meant the k bar needed to lose one of its small links.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Been a while, but I’ve been quite busy tinkering..

Taken a big bunch of bits to be powder coated, I did start cleaning up the rocker cover but i got bored and gave up after 30mins because it was still looking pitted and dirty so decided it would be alot easier and a better result in the end if I took it to be done properly! So I boxed up the Rocker Cover, Inlet Manifold, Inlet Manifold brackets, Engine Mounts, Pulley Wheels and some gear linkage components and took it to be made new again!!

Before:

After:

After getting my bits back a a week later I set too and pretty much cleaned, polished or painted everything else I could see, I was really on a mission. So we now have a nice draw full of shiney engine components, clean pipes, intakes, brackets, nuts, bolts, etc.. Its quite amazing what you can do when you have a spare day or 2. I'm quite happy with it all anyway.

The block was also degreased and is going to be painted Black next time I have a free evening,

Next is to get a gasket set, new clutch and some new engine mount inserts.... then it can be re-fitted!

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

I love powder coating... really does do a special thing to metal :P