My Blue Storm

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
bluestorm
fill in the right answer: 10

My Blue Storm

Post by bluestorm »

I just had to share my excitement with you. I bought this car in 2003, used it for a year and then garaged it in 2004 until this 2008. In July 2008 I lost my storage and took it over to my mates bodyshop and 'dumped' it with him as a hospital job. Here she lay in the corner gathering dust, until July of this year. Three weeks later she emerged having some reasonably extensive restoration. Since then she has been at home in my garage on stands whilst I have scrubed the underside and engine bay. Replaced all fuel lines, brake lines and flexi's, fitted a 16V servo and master cylinder and upgraded to 256mm discs and pads. Polybushed everything and fitted new wishbones and Eibach beefy antiroll bars and slightly second hand FK Konigsport coilovers. I got the wheels on last weekend and lowered back to terafirmer. Engine in over christmas I hope!

From this

To THIS :groove:

I have lots of photos of the resto if anyone is interested.

DannyH

Re: My Blue Storm

Post by DannyH »

looking great :vcool:

bring on the photos :chill:

Danny
jxp

Post by jxp »

looks cracking mate

1985 MK2 Flash Silver GTX 1.8 8v
2002 Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP
bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

Needed to sort a rusty os sill.

And once opened up rust was attacking the inside edge near the seat belt mounting so a section was cut out and a piece let in.

Some sandblasting to remove corrosion

And a coat of zinc

before

and a little wipe of filler

bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get the engine and box in. Its a great feeling taking all the parts that I have been collecting over the years off the shelves, and bolting them up.

bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

The Ns sill needed some attention as well

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

That looks great :good:

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

that could from my photobucket album that Ant has been 'compiling' for me on Project Gitanes...............

as painted = :swoon: :vcool:

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Bill

Post by Bill »

Stunning, keep the pics coming :vcool:

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

yum, bodywork shots. Notice that the lower sill portion is used only, is that a proper mk1 Scirocco panel or was a mk1 Golf one sufficient for the area being treated to new metal?

The finished paintwork looks stuning -more shots please!

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

The sill was a repro sill (cover?) for the scirocco mk1 made by Hadrian and supplied by Beavers Panels. Had not relised that the sill was so bad so had not tried to source one in the years hoarding and sourcing parts before the resto finally started. This was delivered within 24hrs of oredering which got me out of a spot. It was easier to cut the sill down and only use metal that needed to be replaced than trying to 'adjust' the panel to fit in its entire form!

The new front wings were repro as well from German ebay. I did however try to source some genuine VW ones but in 2 years of searching could not come up with any. I had to part with £300 for these patern ones in the end. They are not bad fit at all, a little trimming down the A post edge in the door hinge area of the ns one and a wipe of filler in both as shown

Before the wings are fitted a little metal repaced were the wings meet the front valance

A little more were the inner wing meets the slam panel

bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

I should take this oportunity to thank 81GTI aka Craig for the two replacement doors. The ns was NOS and the os was second hand rust free but sporting the scars of a fight with a gate post! Many thanks Craig.

I decided to delete the rear washer and wiper to tidy the tailgate up a bit

The rear arches needed some work too. Evidence was found of previous work to both rear quarters. This was bare metaled and made good. All arches front and rear have been rolled before painting as well just to allow a little more clearance should I need it!

Both rear quarters were they meet the rear valance have had work. I purchased a pair of repair sections from Peter on Dutch ebay which were trimmed to suite the removed rusty metal. The rear valance where it meets the spare wheel well needed attention as well as new piece of metal being let into the well itself.

bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

Managed to fit this in the day after boxing day.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Really looking forward to seeing this beast in the metal. :swoon: :vcool:

Serial Rocco-ist.........
bluestorm

Post by bluestorm »

I am hoping to get on the road late March April time. Unfortunately the inside will not even have been started but I will have to put on hold as I have to go driving asap.
The head has been ported and polished by 'the man in the shed', bottom end lightened and balanced, and the flywheel lightened as well. She will be breathing through a set of Jenvey 45mm DTH throttle bodies........... how else was I going to close the bonnet :hugegrin: . Management is the responsibility of an Emerald ECU