Project RED GT.

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
markh
fill in the right answer: 15

Project RED GT.

Post by markh »

Finally after 2 months of owning it and my brother in law running it, i actually get round to tidying the old bird up. She'l not win any awards, but will hopefully look a damn sight better if everything goes to plan. So today see's the start of tackling the tatty bodywork, namely the front wings.
The passenger side wing, was particularly rotten.
This shows the extent of the rot under the bodykit.
Drivers side had been damaged and had a very rushed repair and repaint.
So i start of stripping parts to get the passenger wing off.
And with the wing off, its a chance to check for any hidden nasties. Luckily everythings in really good shape.
Offering the replacement wing up to check the fit, all seems ok, the coloured coded plastic arch will be removed and replaced with the standard non painted one fitted to GT models.
I flatted the paint on the drivers wing ready for primer, also removed the damaged plastic arch, which will be replaced by a decent one.
Also replaced the cracked drivers side rear light.
So, weather permitting (forecast isnt good) tomorrow i should be able to get the wings repainted, and maybe the front end put back together. Fingers crossed !! :beers:

Don't ask me....it was like that when i got here !
markh

Re: Project RED GT.

Post by markh »

Got a bit more done today, painted the wings,in between the showers, and its looking better already.

Passenger wing in primer.

And the spray booth !!.......

Hoping to get a couple of hours on it again today, and to get the front end built back up. :)

Apologies for the small pics,but Photoshop is being a ballbag for some reason ! :dash:

markh

Post by markh »

Made some real progress today, despite this mornings rain. Gave the paint a good cutting, and im really happy with the results, one or two small blemishes, but not at all bad for a rattle can job done outside in the wind and rain.

Notice the high tech gadgetry employed to hold the arch in place while the adhesive dries. :hugegrin:

Coming together nicely now.

Wont get anymore done now until monday, as im working all weekend now. :(

markh

Post by markh »

Forgot to mention, that i was swapping the steel wheels for a set of TSW's i had lying around. Had the tyres swapped and balanced yesterday. Should look like a totally different motor soon, the hard part will be T cutting and polishing the rest of the fading paint. Other jobs to be done are, replace the driver side mirror, repair corrosion around the passenger door handle, replace a couple of cooling hoses and a quick service. Hopefully it will all be finished by the end of the month, then its up for sale to make room for the GTS and project 21a.

markh

Post by markh »

Cracked on a bit today. Fitted the front fogs and front wing rub strips.

Repaired the rust patch around the passenger door handle.

The stickers on the B pillars were well knackered.

So they had to go.....

Along with the one along the top of the tailgate. still got to finish cleaning the glue off tomorrow.

Hoping to have everything body work wise done tomorrow. Then it'l be onto the interior. :D

markh

Post by markh »

Here we go again with another battle with Photobucket, to try and get some photos up !
Anyway, things are coming along nicely. Got most of the paintwork Tcut and waxed, still got the roof and bonnet to do, but its looking ok.

Painted the top of the passenger door, it too needs cutting, but i need to give the lacquer some time to harden. Pleased with the result though.

markh

Post by markh »

Dry day today, so got on with some more on the GT. T-Cut the top of the passenger door now that the lacquers gone off, gave it a polish and refitted the door handle.

Refitted the rear number plate.....

And started to tidy up the interior. The front door cards were tatty, and the drivers seat had the usual bolster wear. So i decided to change all the door cards for a black set i had in the garage, and as luck would have it, the GTS ive just bought had a nearly new set of seat covers which are black with red piping, and so suit the GT perfectly. I just chucked them in the washing machine to freshen them up then fitted them....

Hopefully tomorrow, i can get the interior cleaned and finished. Went to the local main dealers today to get a genuine oil filter and order a boot lock seal, so time permitting i can give the engine a small service, change a duff cooling hose and replace the boot lock seal. :good:

markh

Post by markh »

Almost finished !!! Tackled the manky engine bay....

Changed the oil and filter (genuine VW filter) new fuel filter, new plastic dipstick guide tube, new cooling hose from top of rad to the expansion bottle with new hose cliups, replaced broken throttle return spring, flushed cooling system and put in new anti-freeze.....

The interiors done, bought a new set of floor mats for it but they are'nt in yet.....

Also cleaned up and refitted the boot badges, fitted some spare parcel shelf clips that i had,fitted the new boot lock seal and then gave it a good run. Everythings fine, its a different car now ! Just need to wash and wax the exterior again now, as it was pouring down when i test drove it :dash:

It will be up for sale very soon, so that i can start on Project 21a and Project GTS. :chill:

markh

Post by markh »

All finished today ! final bits of interior trim in, new floor mats and towbar removed (going to brass007).. very pleased with the final result, not mint but a very nice car all the same.

Now up for sale on here, and on ebay.