White lady, Z40 drag killer queen pro street muscle

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: White lady.. Off the jig woohoo!!

Post by james butler »

hey rusty dan have you or your guys got any advice for welding up a sunroof?
after looking through your thread it looks like you have a heck of a lot more experince with metal work than myself.

im planning on mig welding a cover plate in but im concerned with warping the roof or blowing big holes in it plus both the metal im welding to and welding in is only .9 mm thick.
the car hasn't got to be perfect but i don't want to ruin it or make it look terible and regret doin/not doing it properly.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

I think you would be better finding a breaker and taking the whole roof skin from it.. I don't have the fabrication and welding skills but if it were me I would do it that way.

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
james butler

Post by james butler »

Rusty dan wrote:I think you would be better finding a breaker and taking the whole roof skin from it.. I don't have the fabrication and welding skills but if it were me I would do it that way.
ah ok cheers dan,

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

james butler wrote:hey rusty dan have you or your guys got any advice for welding up a sunroof?
after looking through your thread it looks like you have a heck of a lot more experince with metal work than myself.

im planning on mig welding a cover plate in but im concerned with warping the roof or blowing big holes in it plus both the metal im welding to and welding in is only .9 mm thick.
the car hasn't got to be perfect but i don't want to ruin it or make it look terible and regret doin/not doing it properly.
Talk to Ant at Rust Republic maybe? I know far better welders than I who wouldn't MIG weld a roof. If they had to patch it they'd TIG weld it, very slowly and carefully. In theory you could MIG a roof and not warp it, but you'd need to be slow, careful and keep moving the point of welding to avoid building up too much heat and warping the panel. I've just seen a Lancia Fulvia that's having its roof replaced due to a botched attempt to patch up a webasto roof. Welding sills and floors is one thing... wheel arch repairs are a bit harder, but doing a roof panel is a higher skill level again.

I welded up the roof panel on a track car and made a bit of an arse of it... it's no coincidence that the roof is now vinyl wrapped - lucky it's a scruffy old track car ;o)

Russ, good to see the progress - sorry for the highjack!

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Looking forward to seeing this finished and the times it pulls off on the quarter mile. Great thread!!

83mars

Post by 83mars »

i got hand it to ya man, you really are going balls out.
can i ask what the plates between the box and engine, and the other plate between the waterpump and engine are for??
i thought the one between the box and engine was an adapter plate till i say the waterpump one.
keep up the good work, be looking forward to your updates

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

cheers! at present the chassis is all but upside down being welded up ready then for the paint..
The plates are known as motor plates.. we don't use your standard engine mounts so the front of the engine is held in with one plate bolted to the front horns then another plate used as an adapter for the chevy 2 speed box to ford engine which doubles up as a motor mount.. There is another mount on the tail shaft of the box to support the back end there..

they are aluminium plate and when all bolted up is really strong and does not move. more pics and updates to come next week 8-)

insanecreations.net
james butler

Post by james butler »

Rusty dan wrote:cheers! at present the chassis is all but upside down being welded up ready then for the paint..
The plates are known as motor plates.. we don't use your standard engine mounts so the front of the engine is held in with one plate bolted to the front horns then another plate used as an adapter for the chevy 2 speed box to ford engine which doubles up as a motor mount.. There is another mount on the tail shaft of the box to support the back end there..

they are aluminium plate and when all bolted up is really strong and does not move. more pics and updates to come next week 8-)
that makes sense i was wondering the same thing, but long term wont the welds and nuts and bolts between the plate and frame crack with the vibration and torque?
thats going to be an absolute beast when this is done! where will you race it? i would love to see this run the strips!

Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

Over time that may happen with the welds and if it happened I would need it fixed.. I trust Ron's work as the chassis is to be inspected for tagging in the next couple of weeks. They will then tell him/me that its not up to the job or fine.
Full tube race cars running 3000bhp use this same set up so my 500bhp wont so much of an issue I reckon lol

The plan is to race in the VWDRC Pro class at rounds split between Santa Pod and Shakespeare Raceway. I also want to be involved with rwyb at the VW events and show the car at Ultimate dubs, Scirocco National etc..
Its all about raising the profile of the car, getting some sponsorship be it money or parts/fuel/tyres bought etc to help towards running for the season.

insanecreations.net
Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

Cool we now have a fully welded chassis made to Spec 25.1e thanks to Ron at Insane Creations..
Even got a little mock up with the body back on and the door and boot fit being perfect in opening and close.. The next step is floor plans, firewalls and all the little brackets for cables, body mounts, wiring etc to be made up then off for paint the chassis goes! Of course the 'body back on' part is used in the lightest of terms literally!
At present its possible to lift the car as is around the workshop with not a lot of effort! That excites me a lot!!!

insanecreations.net
Rusty dan

Re: White lady.. getting down on the floor!

Post by Rusty dan »

Things have got busy at Insane Creations and Ron has asked me if I can move the Scirocco out for a few weeks whilst other projects happen. I wont be stopping as I can work on the car elsewhere and continue building the dream. Yesterday I cut out the arches to fit the rear wheels properly and also cleaned up the front where the firewall used to be so its a lot slicker to look at.
Engine and box back in and looking mean! Looking forward to the next stages on the White lady!

insanecreations.net
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

keep up the good work mate and don't let the move set you back. its all looking excellent.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

Cheers Chaps,

Car is in hiding at the moment but I am building up the front suspension and hubs next week along with the custom lower arms too
Its a set back for sure but needs must and I have full faith in Ron getting the car back in so we can continue my dream

insanecreations.net
Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

cool got my front wheels coming! 14x7 centerlines to match my 15x12 rears and cant wait to get them on. will still be able to run 256mm discs which should be adequate slowing from about 130mph at the quarter lol :pilot:

insanecreations.net
Rusty dan

Re: White lady.. V8 tube chassis heading for 10's

Post by Rusty dan »

Good news! I got my left hand dash from Sander and Ti nus at the National meet which is a big check off the list..
Also moved even more parts sourced in with the car and now its barely recognisable as a Scirocco
Also I am hunting out another mk2 so the White lady gets a play mate... I knew going to the National would get me going :ebay:

insanecreations.net