First time roccer

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
sciroccnoob
fill in the right answer: 15

First time roccer

Post by sciroccnoob »

Do you ever wash your car then immediately regret washing it?
That happened to me today when I washed my scirocco, as you wash the dirt off you realise the state of your paintwork then start to get sadder and sadder.. :(
So long time reader, short time account holder and i think first post

Looking forward to a long term project, not a mechanic or anything but keen to learn so most of these I am aiming to sort out myself.

Short term to do list:
- Get it running again, I think I popped a gear linkage the other day, fingers crossed it'll be covered by the warranty on it.
Into the garage hopefully next week to confirm what broke.
- Order replacement socket wrench as when I bought the car it didn't have one with the spare tyre.
- Take off the rear bumper and find out why it isn't mounted straight, drivers side is protruding more then passenger.
- Find, order and install replacement sunroof arm. Drivers side arm snapped.
- Take the stereo out and wire up a switched feed for it.
- Order and replace the broken antenna. From another post on this site I have found this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Polo ... mwBanner=1
- Take out gauges and install a supplementary ground. Full beam headlights causes rev gauge to cut out.
- Whilst gauges are out put a new bulb in for speedometer and replace clock.
- Install new bulb into headlight switch.
- Find a solution to having a different key for the passenger door compared to the rest of the car.
- Various interior oddjobs.
- Install new spark plugs and leads. Bit of a dull patch upon accelerating, will attempt this first as they will probably need changing anyway.
- Replace cambelt.
- Once its semi sexy. Go to one of the meets you organise :)

Long term to do list:
- Fix all the little dents and rust patches.
- Sort door handle surrounds, flakey plastic/paint from around them.
- Do something with the rear window, I think the tint is degrading so its got weird patches of kinda cloudy white..
- De-badge and smooth.
- Complete respray (or wrap) undecided whether to keep colour, as I love it, or go for something different.
- Lower it.
- Make it sound a bit sexier. Custom or source a complete somewhere undecided which.
- New rims (undecided on this as I like the ones installed currently, though they need refinishing).
- Order and install the headlight relay.
- Do something about the dashboard cracks... Have seen leather covers on ebay or try and find a complete dash (Undecided).

Some of the issues on here require tools that I don't have, though there is a workshop space in my town that may have some of the tools required investigation ongoing. Either that or I just bite the bullet and buy the tools / pay somebody to do it.

Any advice for any of the to-do jobs is appreciated.

Recovery after my (I hope) linkage popped :(
Rear bumper protruding.
Broken sunroof arm.

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: First time roccer

Post by blakey »

I know the feeling, I clay barred and polished mine last weekend, looking the lacquer peel and poor paint I started to wonder why I'd bothered, but to be fair it does look a lot better.

I think you have a similar to do list as many of us, but most importantly you have a good base to start from, it looks good and a great colour. A late one too on a K plate.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
blakey

Post by blakey »

I meant to say, if you look either side of the boot, you'll see two bolt heads each side for the bumper brackets. If it's had a minor nudge, you may be able to slacken them and reposition the bumper.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
sciroccnoob

Post by sciroccnoob »

Yes blakey!
Muchos apreciado!

Had a go solo..
All types of weird positions my body contorted into to try and hold the bumper whilst tightening the bolts!
I think I need an assistant for this job.

blakey

Post by blakey »

I know what you mean. Try slackening the bolts and then turning them back just before they tighten again and they may hold the position one side whilst you adjust they other.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
james butler

Post by james butler »

looks nice to me sciroccnoob
mine was steadily getting worse as time went on, bad laquer peel and a dent or scratch on every panel but you know what it drives epic!
so in actuall fact as long as driving it makes me smile it doesnt really matter too much what it looks like.
enjoy it, they are great cars

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
essextom

Post by essextom »

nice looking car, i like the colour.

sciroccnoob

Post by sciroccnoob »

The scirocco lives again!

Stupid me managed to miss the short selector rod (I think thats the right one judging off the haynes diagram) not being attached £20 for a 5 minute job by the guy at the garage.. Oh well the clip however is pants and I flicked it not especially hard as I was rummaging and it popped off again.
So I have looked into my options and after reading through various posts on here and other forums have gone for the missing linkz kit.
A did look at the pile of sex that is the usrt kit though my money doesn't stretch that far.

Will update once it has arrived and been put on.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

There should be a felt/foam disc at the bottom of the ball which the rod fits on, there is also a clip on the side which you have to close to hold the rod on, a little grease on the ball also helps “pack it out” so it’s nice and tight.

You can buy a kit will all the bushes etc which is well worth doing if you have just changed the rod?

You can see the foam/felt pads here with this kit..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCIROCCO-GOL ... SwWxNYxqu4

You can also see the clip on the rod in this picture...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement- ... 0508.m3226

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
sciroccnoob

Post by sciroccnoob »

Spot on mark1
Delivery time for the missinglinkz is a few weeks or so.
If it keeps popping off all the time ill do that

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

sciroccnoob

Post by sciroccnoob »

Successful day today!

Took off the old plasticy gear linkage and replaced it with the missinglinkz a1e kit! bit of a task some bits, some skillful contortion, but with some help from a mate we got there. Currently on the 25% shift reduction setting and seems nice after a short drive with it today. After getting used to it more over the coming few weeks, I'll move up to the 50% setting and see how she fares.

Also set out trying to adjust the freeplay of the clutch as there was a fair amount at the pedal, but as it turns out I am maxed out on the adjustment... Please somebody with more knowledge than me, does that mean I need a new clutch or do the cables stretch a certain amount and need replacing periodically, aside from the freeplay, I have no clutch issues at all so far.

Also had new leads and plugs installed last weekend, though the pierburg needs some fiddling.. Idles too low.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwEU4QXX5_I
Will have a play maybe tomorrow if this rain stops

sciroccnoob

Post by sciroccnoob »

Although it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows with the day, various rummagings around the car have found that, the front passenger side jacking point has a rusted through hole to the side of it, I think this is because there is evidence of a previous break in attempt at the top of the door from before I bought it, and the door seal on the side is peeling off and degraded a fair bit, which I assume has channeled water down to near the jack point and sat helping rust. Or maybe the under seal was just put on badly?

And there is the classic tell tale rust spot on the metalwork in the boot by where the fuel filler neck goes.
Hooray!!! More for the to do list.
I am even more noob with bodywork than I am with anything else, anybody got some advice on how best to sort these? If I had the money I would do a complete strip down and get all the rust and dents sorted, replace the filler neck and get her resprayed though I am nowhere near affording that currently...
What is the best semi long-term solution that I can do until the full respray and derustification can be a thing?

Also to top it all of, when I was replacing the relay shaft bushings for the missing linkz kit, I noticed that the bottom of the engine is covered in oil and dirt, so I think I also have a slow oil leak :)