mk2 vr6 turbo 4motion build

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
chris_mellor
fill in the right answer: 15

mk2 vr6 turbo 4motion build

Post by chris_mellor »

hi all,
i'm currently building a 24v vr6 turbo 4 motion ,if someone can point me in the right direction on where to upload pictures i've got plenty to add ;) the current aim for the car is around 750-800 whp :) so far the car has been stripped to the bare shell and put onto a rotisserie, the rear floor has been removed and the necessary strengthening is nearly complete.

1990 GTII 1.8 8v Tornado red
1989 scala 2.8 24v vr6 turbo 4motion (in the making ;-) )
mr.brown

Re: mk2 vr6 turbo 4motion build

Post by mr.brown »

You can upload pics direct to this thread by clicking on "Full Editor & Preview" at the bottom of the Quick Reply text box below and then the Attachments tab below it. There is a maximum size, however.

My personal preference at the moment is IMGUR, which is free and has no restrictions (currently) on links to photos stored there.

It's fairly easy to open an account and start uploading. It also has a mobile app so you can upload direct from your phone.

Once you've uploaded your pictures, each one has a drop down menu with "Get share links" on it. All you need to do then is Copy the "BBC Code(forums)" link and paste it into your thread here.

chris_mellor

Post by chris_mellor »

here are some pictures to update the build , chassis rail strengthening has been added with addition to 40x80mm section to mount the mk4 subframe to .

chris_mellor

Post by chris_mellor »

here are some more pictures with the mk4 subframe bolted up loosely and with the haldex diff in place , the subframe may look low , but the lowest point on the frame is still higher up in the car than the lowest point on the front chassis rails where the front wishbones bolt on , so hopefully i shouldent get any issues on ground clearance etc, the driveshaft also sits perfectly in the centre of the wheel arch and due to the subframe sitting low there is no need for any sort of chassis notching at all as there is ample clearance for the driveshafts

Last edited by chris_mellor on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

chris_mellor

Post by chris_mellor »

the next step is to fabricate the tunnel , im using the tunnel from the 4motion golf so should make shifter and centre prop bearing mounting a lot easier , and this seems the most sensible option and will keep some sort of OEM look to the floor , atleast thats the plan anyway :-D , i need to mount the gearbox temporarily to measure up how high the propshaft/tunnel arrangement needs to be .

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Excellent build, good to see Some one tackle a prop tunel with sucsess

Look forwad to seeing this come together

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

now this looks like a very interesting build i shall be watching/ reading . looking forward to seeing the end result. i know you are very early into the build, but have you thought about just making it rear wheel drive ?

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
chris_mellor

Post by chris_mellor »

to be honest its never really crossed my mind to be rwd , would be very intresting though ,by using the haldex diff i will be able to switch from awd to fwd but with the power output i have in mind i fear that two wheel drive may just do a heap of spinning ;-)

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Wow this is what you call a project, hats off to you for carrying out such a built.
This is 1 to watch. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

this will be an interesting build!
the scirocco is quite a floppy car, with that much power going through it are you going to put a roll cage/ space frame into the car to tighten the body up?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
chris_mellor

Post by chris_mellor »

yeah the car will be having a full roll cage and more gussets/strengthening in any place of weakness or where the car is already lacking strength , the car seems a lot firmer in the rear already due to the cross bars that the subframe mounts up to .

chris_mellor

Post by chris_mellor »

made some more progress today , got the gearbox mounted just to check the height of the drive flange , the tunnel has been cut more aswell , still needs more trimming but its 80% in the right place , i put a few bolts through the tunnel and the floor just to hold it in the right place , hopefully tomorrow i can mark the last peices that need cutting and then remove the tunnel and clean the floor ready for welding , getting the tunnel to fit the car is a bit tedious and time consuming but it needs to be perfect to get it to sit in the right place. :-D

james butler

Post by james butler »

that makes sense, looks great so far :ok:
keep the piccys coming

have you seen this guy?
http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showt ... rabbit-GTI
he did very similar to you and the mk1 he used will have lots of similar obstacles as the rocco as its similar/same floor pan

chris_mellor

Post by chris_mellor »

yes mate ive read the whole build thread on vw vortex a while back it was one hell of a read and there was a LOT of fabrication that went into that car , sadly it is now sitting next to eurowise with a cover on it , the car got 90% finished and then the owner moved house etc and sadly the car has been forgotten about a bit :-( .

james butler

Post by james butler »

ahh no way!
no wonder it went so quiet.
well keep up the good work and look forward to some more piccs :yup: