So prior to the MOT, I took my car into work for a pre MOT check. To spot any obvious faults. All was looking good till I got to the rear arches and saw this;
Well shit. Have i mentioned I hate rust?
(Both sides were identical so I only took pictures of one repair)
There was no way I was going to let this defeat the car so I set to repairing it.
As with any repair, you start out with some flat metal.
Then comes the fun part, figuring out to turn said bits of metal in to a curved complicated 3d shape.
I really do enjoy this bit but lack the skill/experience to do beautiful job of it. So out comes the hot metal gun;
Now got the basic shape, just need to refine it. Which involves lots of loving taps with a hammer. After a while I got my curve and step
Then just trim of the rest to get a nice fit.
Cut away the Rot, clean up the metal and start welding the patch into place.
Found some old under sealant in my dad's garage and applied it liberally. Quite happy with the finish tbh.
Had some slight issues gluing the skirt back down afterwards, but thankfully another one of my projects came to the rescue.
So after doing all this work, I confidently put my car in for its mot.
Here's the result;
There rust was two very small holes (one each side) that I had missed due to the angle I was working at. I've fixed that.
The seats rocked forwards a bit to much, a combination of pivoting on the Audi frames and scirocco frame. Some welding has sorting that.
The lights are an easy fix and will do that on the retest.
The Brakes I didn't know about and am actually glad they got picked up when they did. One of the wheel cylinders is leaking so have purchased completely new rear brake assemblies (cylinders and shoes) which should fix that problem.
Whilst inspecting the brakes, I found out that both the rear hub nuts were only finger tight. That's was not something I expected to find.
Some what pissed about the buckled wheel. But have managed to source one on eBay.
Hoping to have her back on the road next week. Fingers crossed.
Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk