Dave's red '86 GT

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Mk2RoccoDave
fill in the right answer: 15

Dave's red '86 GT

Post by Mk2RoccoDave »

Hey guys! So I saw this scirocco about a year ago after taking a wrong turn driving to my sister's house. After a month of searching for one recently for a second car I remembered this one which I saw a while ago! So I went to go and see it to find it was still in the same spot! So I decided to pinch it for pennies and trailered it home a couple weeks ago! I haven't done much work since except get the engine running and wash the bits of mould off as I'm saving the long wait of a mop and polish until after the bulk of the work has been done.

So here she is on the last owner's drive;

On the trailer!

At its new home

With the polo!

Finally found the time to put it up on jacks to go through the underneath of the car

I haven't got much planned as of yet except to go trough everything on the car such as the engine and bodywork, etc. One thing I am stuck with is whether or not to colour code the trim??

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Mk2RoccoDave on Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackGTX

Re: Dave's red '86 GT

Post by BlackGTX »

I think the red and black is a factory colour. Looks quite tidy. Did the polo make the nationals

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Guess you'll get a variety of opinions on the colour coding, personally I like the contrast, but obviously Mr VW didn't as his "top of the range" cars all ended up colour coded i.e. Scalas.

Yours seems to have been played with already looking at the rubber side trim being removed and aftermarket front grill.

Is it a GTX ? Guess it could be..... :-)

Mk2RoccoDave

Post by Mk2RoccoDave »

BlackGTX wrote:I think the red and black is a factory colour. Looks quite tidy. Did the polo make the nationals
Yeah I would've guessed, and no unfortunately not! It's not Road worthy and decided not to take it until next year anyway.
Jerry Atric wrote:Guess you'll get a variety of opinions on the colour coding, personally I like the contrast, but obviously Mr VW didn't as his "top of the range" cars all ended up colour coded i.e. Scalas.

Yours seems to have been played with already looking at the rubber side trim being removed and aftermarket front grill.

Is it a GTX ? Guess it could be..... :-)
Yeah at first I quite liked it but I keep seeing them colour coded and feel like I prefer them colour coded haha! Yes I think it has been played too as the clutch cable on the top of the gearbox has been wound all the way up for some reason so that's the clutch gone! And there's other weird stuff about the car such as a gash in the exhaust and little bits etc. I sort of like the look of the grill to be honest aswell haha.

I thought it might have been a GTX but it came up on the gov website as a GT.

Jerry Atric

Post by Jerry Atric »

Simple answer is have a look at the V5 document and see what the engine code is....if it has a prefix of DX, then it should be a GTX. ( Unless of course someone has swapped engines on you....:-) )

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

If fuel injection then it's a GTX if it's got a carb then it's a GT.

Looks a tidy car.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

It hasn't got a sunroof, so it's not a GTX.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Mk2RoccoDave

Post by Mk2RoccoDave »

Jerry Atric wrote:Simple answer is have a look at the V5 document and see what the engine code is....if it has a prefix of DX, then it should be a GTX. ( Unless of course someone has swapped engines on you....:-) )
There isn't a prefix of DX on the engine code so I guess it's just a GT haha!
mark1gls wrote:If fuel injection then it's a GTX if it's got a carb then it's a GT.

Looks a tidy car.
Thanks dude, yeah it's just a carb engine.
the edmundator wrote:It hasn't got a sunroof, so it's not a GTX.
Thought it wasn't a GTX in the first place haha, but thanks for clearing that up anyway mate

Mk2RoccoDave

Post by Mk2RoccoDave »

Hey guys! So been quite a while but I’ve done quite a bit since I last updated this!

So, after jacking it up onto axle stands, I decided to strip the brakes and suspension, to then put on some super sport coilovers and I painted the drums and calipers and or various parts which are shown in the pictures below;

Rebuilt the insides of the brake drums too with all new kit!