Out of the blue GT2

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Aflinds
fill in the right answer: 15

Out of the blue GT2

Post by Aflinds »

Hello all, here's to something a little different...

A few weeks ago I became the owner of this GT2, as the title suggests out of the blue... I had contemplated a second car/ project for many years but never sure what and situation never really suited. Until having a few conversations too many a couple of weeks ago with the then owner...

Instead of grafting quietly in the dark like usual I would try and share the experience and possibly enlighten one or two folk along the way...
I will do my best to get pictures up (and plenty of) as that method has always helped me in the past. New to the forum (and forums in general) so patience & advice appreciated.
As much as the car makes me smile (the car park, look back type of smile) equally does the forum from the weird and wonderful cars and comments it encourages.
Here's the important bit:

My enjoyment comes from cleaning cars but since I couldn't commit to when I could clean the new purchase I reluctantly took it here

Which only made the water situation worse. So the next day I went about evicting it...

The grand plan is to clean it, make it mine and have some fun driving it. But with most threads I've seen, as always that is vulnerable to change...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Aflinds on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Out of the blue GT2

Post by GTXTRA »

Welcome - great 'spirit' which is what this should all be about.

Whatever you do with it, drive it, enjoy it and get to the National Meet - see calendar listings section - in August for more inspiration.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Welcome mate. Keep the pics coming. I love reading about others projects.....

As far as forum etiquite goes I don't think there is any here. Do as you wish and people will give you positive feedback unlike some other over opinionated forums. We're a good bunch.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

Cheers,

Found where the water was coming in!

In my haste I rectified problem but neglected to take any pictures! Will be ordering new boot seal and making good around the area as the rear lights have suffered as a result.

Have replaced the heater blower (with the help of a guide on here) which I thought was the reason for the occasional burning smell due to the cable burning out
But I'm still whiffing it?

The more I drive it the more... items I'm finding I would like to address! The first was getting the headlights to work. Now they do I can see when I switch them on, my revs plummet and the oil light flashes? Have seen a mention of rocker cover cable but can't find anything yet so ongoing.

After spending time in the boot cut down some p clips for stays and replaced a tag so it holds its own now

Looking forward to a day with it tomorrow...

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

thats not a bad boot fix

gonna have to lift my rubbers up now and check

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

You'll find loads of little things, just keep chipping away! The cable is Brown I think and connects to the right hand rear bolt holding the cam cover on. It goes into the main loom by the gearbox and causes havoc with the dash if it snaps....

My build thread:
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Welcome Afinds, always good to see and read another project going on so keep us updated and ask for help if you get stuck as we are always here to help. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

Today was the first time I've seen under the scirocco... oh my! I suppose being parked up for long periods on the south coast will do that to a car!

No point dwelling on it so went about as planned, new discs and pads upfront with plenty of wire brush action

Oil, filters, plugs and leads

Tensioned the belt so not so offensive on start up

Had a look at why the clutch was the equivalent of a whole leg day! Seems to be pulling the inner through so made good and added another to the basket

Threw some paint at the fan casing as well

Although she may feel like a work horse with this lot in the back

She did scrub up pretty well
ImageImage

It may be missing some padding in places but the interior looks good to

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

Had a look at the rocker cover cable also (thanks Steve B for the tip). Found the following but no joy

So to eliminate the possibility I added a new strap but this failed also!

Will just go through the bay and make good connections to confirm sound and hopefully stumble across something???

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If the clutch pedal is heavy check the bulk head where the cable goes through, engine bay side and if it's not got a strengthening plate fitted, fit one now to save the cable getting pulled through the bulk head, you can fit a Mk1 golf plate but it will need cutting down to fit.
I think it's just injection cars with the MFA computer which have the other earth cable fitting to the rocker cover, you may need to get behind the dash instrument and check the main earth going to the instruments/clocks, it goes to a earth claw near the fuse box. You can add another earth point just behind the instruments by tapping into the brown earth, add another wire and using a self tapping screw into the metal frame.
Also worth bulking out the connector with a bit of tape to get a better connection.

Info here.
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/show ... and-ground

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

mark1gls wrote:If the clutch pedal is heavy check the bulk head where the cable goes through, engine bay side and if it's not got a strengthening plate fitted, fit one now to save the cable getting pulled through the bulk head, you can fit a Mk1 golf plate but it will need cutting down to fit.
I think it's just injection cars with the MFA computer which have the other earth cable fitting to the rocker cover, you may need to get behind the dash instrument and check the main earth going to the instruments/clocks, it goes to a earth claw near the fuse box. You can add another earth point just behind the instruments by tapping into the brown earth, add another wire and using a self tapping screw into the metal frame.
Also worth bulking out the connector with a bit of tape to get a better connection.

Info here.
http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/show ... and-ground
Mark1gls much appreciated. Will give me something to work towards while replacing the lights in the switches on the dash...

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

Who knew boiled lind seed oil was the scirocco spoilers saviour. Thanks black gtx for that jem.

Ended up chasing myself round the car rubbing anything that's black before I lost the light!

Also managed to t-cut the crap spread on the bumpers from driving in the wet with shot pads!

Generally the paint has lost all of its shine and ideally needs hours of work! Unfortunately it's looking like weeks before I will get a chance...
On with the little jobs that can be carried out after dark it is then... *wheres my head torch?*

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Bugger me. Linseed oil really works! Love doing paint correction....

My build thread:
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

awrsome stuff boiled linseed, gotta take if off the paint before it dries or you have to scrub it off

huge difference to that spoiler though. cars coming along nicely

Aflinds

Post by Aflinds »

So I had a play with my dash

And put a secondary earth to it. No joy!
It has been modified before so I would be curious as to know why?

My LCD needs replacing, the 3 lights are very weak (so I only intend to use 1 for speedo) but they turn off when you turn on dipped or main beam on? Also one of the terminations on the connector was questionable so I think it would be wise to replace the dash taking into account all the above, if anyone has a decent example collecting dust?£? If not I will put in the wanted section.

Promised myself a drive tonight as it seems all work no play with this scirocco at the moment...